Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed many times before but couldn’t find a direct response to this question. Thanks for the help

69 with a 302
Manual steering stock box
Currently has stainless steel short headers which are wrapped (car came this way)

I want to change them out to ceramic coated headers. I already have h pipes set up

Will the JBA short headers fit with the manual steering? I know they have issues when a borgeson box is in

Any other header brands you would recommend?

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
I know this has been discussed many times before but couldn’t find a direct response to this question. Thanks for the help

69 with a 302
Currently has stainless steel short headers which are wrapped (car came this way)

I want to change them out to ceramic coated headers. I already have h pipes set up

Will the JBA short headers fit with the manual steering? I know they have issues when a borgeson box is in

You could always unwrap and coat the existing headers?
"JBA" headers are owned by Pertronix and probably made in China..... no idea if they fit. Someone here on the VMF
should know. I will tell you this- the original JBA vintage shorty was prototyped in 1990 on a 66 GT with a 289. (car in the photo)
A '69 is going to be a little different, so it probably isn't the same exact item.

·
Registered
76 Posts
JBA headers are made in San Dimas, California by Americans. I put a set on a '68 GT500 Shelby last year. If your car has manual steering they will fit perfectly. The car I installed the JBA headers on was equipped with power steering and they also fit perfectly.

So far as I know JBA does not offer anything in ceramic coating. The JBA shortys that I installed were 400 series stainless steel. So ceramic coating would be completely unnecessary in my opinion.

69 with a 302

69 with a 302

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Royce,
Also Hecho en Mexico. I know a few of the key people involved in the header manufacturing end of Pertronix.
Randy

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
JBA headers are made in San Dimas, California by Americans. I put a set on a '68 GT500 Shelby last year. If your car has manual steering they will fit perfectly. The car I installed the JBA headers on was equipped with power steering and they also fit perfectly.
Where's that, 440 E Arrow Hwy, San Dimas ?
I drove around that facility the other day as I live 10 minutes away. Absolutely no indication of steel deliveries or production or fabrication of any kind
going on at that address. Mexico is believable though.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
So far as I know JBA does not offer anything in ceramic coating. The JBA shortys that I installed were 400 series stainless steel. So ceramic coating would be completely unnecessary in my opinion.
I run JBA 1650SJS headers and can say that they are most definitely ceramic coated. I believe ceramic coating is an option on most of their headers. The ceramic coating on SS headers is intended to contain the heat, thereby reducing the heat that they put off.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I run JBA 1650SJS headers and can say that they are most definitely ceramic coated. I believe ceramic coating is an option on most of their headers. The ceramic coating on SS headers is intended to contain the heat, thereby reducing the heat that they put off.
Here comes my segue, horn-in, hijack, whatever you want to call it. How does a ceramic coated shorty compare to a cast Hi-po as far as heat containment? Inquiring for a friend......

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I really can't comment on the comparison. I have never run cast exhaust manifolds on my car.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The prototype shop is here in So Cal. Like I say "I know a guy".

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Cast iron holds heat in the heads and intake. When I shopped around, Stan Johnson of FPA, Ford Powertrain Applications, had the best product for the best price. Coated mild steel is better IMO as stainless gets brittle when really hot.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Doug Thorley Headers (NOT Doug's)
Call and talk to Mike Johnson about exact fitment. (800) 347-8664
I had great success with their Tri-Ys after 2 other well know brands failed to fit as advertised. The also used thicker tube walls than any one else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts