Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the shorties on the doorstep today . . I was a little surprised that the tubes at the flanges are basically "dented" mainly the driver's side front 2, as they seem to make a hard turn.

Also some ceramic "blemishes", normal?

But otherwise, they seem really solid . . .

so, should I install the headers myself and make the drive to the shop with the exhaust off (still wating for that!) or just let them do it all? It seems that the exhaust (American Thunder) should be bolt together and hangable, but I won't be able to connect the headers to them, even loosely . . will that be unsafe to drive 2-3 miles?

anyways, I'm stoked!

thanks,
CHris

·
Vendor
5,205 Posts
It won't be unsafe to drive with open headers, it'll be REALLY, REALLY loud!!! I'm installing mine this weekend. Luckily my friends shop is only 2 miles from the muffler place so I'm going to risk it.

You can get the muffler shop to install them, but it'll cost you!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
No, install them yourself. It's a ritual that every hot rodder must follow. Install the headers, then fire it up and annoy the hell out of the neighbors while you grin from ear to ear (probably holding the ears, though).

You'll like the JBA's. I have them on my son's '65, and they are fantastic headers. I drove to the muffler shop with the uncapped headers in my '66 (when the JBA's were in my car), and then again after we swapped out motors with the full length headers. You'll be fine for 2-3 miles ... just watch out for cops /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I use the JBA shorty headers and swear by them; if they are not the best then they are one of the best. It is a tradition to install the headers yoursef, then drive the car to the muffler shop. I've never been stopped doing it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heh, ok, maybe I'll get someone to scout for me, I've noticed lots of cops in the area, and lots of *cough* old fogies live around here /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Hope I don't really need those '70 motor mounts, forgot to throw them in the order.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts