Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any problems associated with using JBA shorties on a 68 with a manual tranny? I read something where the equalizer bar hits the headers. Is this true? Is anyone running the setup with an original equalizer bar and not having problems?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
JBA's were installed on my car before I bought it, so I do not know the specifics of how it was done, but can report on the results. The installer used the adjustment screws that support the z bar, the connection between the engine and body, to move the z bar toward the driver's side. I'm not sure how much the bar was moved, but it looked like the bar was out of alignment by about 1 to 1.5 in. This caused an angle between the bottom of the z-bar and the socket on the throwout lever. The installer jammed the adjuster rod in which was a bad deal. After about 3000 miles the adjusting rod bent severely enough thatt I had to get the car towed. I tried to replace the adjusting rod with a repo unit of the original design and saw that it would not be a long lasting solution. I fabricated a replacement using a female tie rod with a stud and a piece of all thread. The stud of the tie rod goes into the z bar and the all thread was machined to look like the original adjusting rod. The only issue that requires any thought is how long to cut the all thread. I have some pictures at home that I could email if you're interested. The tie rod cost about $17 and the all thread cost $3 and I paid $20 for the machining. This is what the rod end looks like. I used one with 3/8" fine thread. You need a jam nut for the all thread. You also need a nut on the end of the stud, I used one of those nylon lock nuts.
http://www.cemr.wvu.edu/~wwwasph/pictures/pg29_rod.gif
HTH

·
Registered
391 Posts
Dave,
The set-up on my convertible is a little different than yours but the photograph may help; this is an eleven inch clutch bell housing, two and one-half inch pipes, and JBA 351W shorty headers.
http://pages.prodigy.net/opabear/_uimages/G1967TExhaust5b.jpg

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I tried a set of JBA's on my '65 and conflict on the left was with the steering gearbox. Basically, I never got to the point where I could check interference with the z-bar. I've heard they've reconciled that problem in more recent production.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts