Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These scrolled by JEEP headlights in one feed or another, and got me thinking. Isn't this the right size for 64-66? (And possibly others, I don't know.)
If so, could someone who knows more about LED lights weigh in? Would these just be a plug in and go, or do you need ballasts and similar?

Thanks,

TGV

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have LED 7" Jeep headlights (JW Speaker 8700 Evo) and I love them. Plug and play for my car and they provide a beautiful white light. I also upgraded wiring for use with a relay so they're even brighter than they would normally be.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I went with a set of 7” Lumens... they’re not fully installed but I don’t see any issues with a rough fitment. I’m going to run them off a relay.

9072C65F-8E93-4B90-B875-4010B1061733.jpeg

·
Registered
897 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes. Depends on what kind of headlight you going with. there's couple of them that come with built in led bulb, halo light and turn signal light. The one's i got were built in. main high and low beam was plug in and play, had to figure out wiring for halo's and turn signal. which is pretty simple as well.

Attachments

·
6,951 Posts
I'm scratching my head on why you guys needed the relay kit.

I built my own relay kit many years ago when I put halogens in my '65 as they are higher wattage than what the originals were....but the LED's should be much LOWER wattage than the OEM incandescent. Why would you need a relay kit when you are taking load off the stock wiring?

Phil

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
These specs are for basic LED headlights. Not sure why a relay kit would be needed.

LED Headlights - Model 8700 Evolution J2 Series
ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Input Voltage 12V DC Operating Voltage 9-16V DC
Black Wire Ground White Wire High Beam Yellow Wire Low Beam
Current Draw 4.20A @ 12V DC (High Beam) 2.00A @ 12V DC (Low Beam)

·
Registered
812 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm scratching my head on why you guys needed the relay kit.

I built my own relay kit many years ago when I put halogens in my '65 as they are higher wattage than what the originals were....but the LED's should be much LOWER wattage than the OEM incandescent. Why would you need a relay kit when you are taking load off the stock wiring?

Phil

Because of the crappy stock light switch and it's high resistance more so than the smaller and longer wires. I used to build and sell a kit years ago that would fit most cars with either stock pinout or the H4 pinout. Still have a few relays and relay sockets left for my projects and rolls of TXL wire.

Oh also I saw the Autoedits guy on youtube had jeep headlights in his mustang. I kind of like the look of some of them. Gives the car eyes instead of a blank stare.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I like the Truck lite 27270's, they get good reviews, are made in the USA (owned by Roger Penske) and dont have that ridiculous halo or projector look that's so out of place on classic cars.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
How are people dealing with DOT/SAE restrictions. Since I want to daily drive mine I have to adhere to those standards for annual safety inspection. (VA)

·
Registered
325 Posts
  1. I like the Truck lite 27270's, they get good reviews, are made in the USA (owned by Roger Penske) and dont have that ridiculous halo or projector look that's so out of place on classic cars.
    What I really like besides the quality is they appear to be lightly tinted due to not having a traditional reflector. The car is going to be Leadfoot Gray so they should compliment the overall look. They are not cheap but they sell clones on Ebay for much less although I wonder about the quality.

·
Registered
752 Posts
How are people dealing with DOT/SAE restrictions. Since I want to daily drive mine I have to adhere to those standards for annual safety inspection. (VA)

If the lights come on it will pass inspection. If you read about stuff being DOT certified or DOT approved don't get wrapped up into that. DOT does not certify anything. All you will see is if it meets DOT standards and for the most part any of the reputable ones do and besides the inspection guys don't care as all they see is the lights work or they don't.
I put E code low beam headlights on the El Camino around 2000. They were glass lens with the horizontal cutoff etc like you now see on current cars and they use H4 bulbs. I didn't bother with the high beams as the low beam housings were more than adequate.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts