Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Than with the OLD ignition coil.

traveling down the freeway at 70 today, the car felt like it was surging as if the carburetor was flooding or something. it isn't... The float is fine. What the heck? Timing is set perfectly. I recently installed a NOS ignition coil...

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had that problem with a 70 Coupe, 302, 2v. I had to change the dwell to a smaller setting to get rid of it? Don't know why though.

You have no info in your bio, and you have not given any information on the type of car/engine/carb etc that you have.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought everyone knew, lol...

Its a 1968 Mustang, with a T code 200 cubic inch inline 6... Hence my name "L20068" for Inline 200 1968. =)

G

·
0 Posts
Well you said that you ran out of gas the other night and sometimes when you do that you will suck up alot of rust that is in the tank. Could be the prob but if it was working better with the old coil why don't you put it back on

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I threw the old coil out, silly me.

The gas tank is brand spankin' new... I got a new one when I was rear-ended and it ruptured *g*

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
I had a similar problem: just cruising at a constant speed, I'd get a surge...not quite a miss. Finally traced it to way over advance on the timing. My engine is too clean to ping, I guess, but when I set the timing back to what it should be, the surging cleared right up.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I tohught of that too, but my timing is perfect at 12 from TDC so I dunno..

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I tohught of that too, but my timing is perfect at 12 from TDC so I dunno..

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Change out the fuel filter. It's a common problem cured by filter changes. Your tank is new, but what of the filter? what of the gas? Yadda-yadda-yadda I've never seen surging caused by the coil, dying, yes. Surging is usually a fuel problem. Could be the carb is dirty or the fuel pump is starting to Fritz on you. SO... If the filter doesn't fix it, visually inspect the fuel pump for leaks. Nothing there? Then pop the top off that high-tech carburator that came on the 6, and look in the fuel bowl. How clean is it? floating debris? If it is give it a rebuild in a can and use some compressed air to blow the passages out. Carb look OK? I'd suspect the pump. They usually go bad gradually, not delivering enough at highway speeds and then working their way down to not at all. You could check this by taking the tools to pop the top of the carb with you and sportin down the right hand lane. When it starts to stutter, shut the engine off and coast to the side. Pop the cover off the carb. Fuel level low? Bad pump. OK students, you've got your assignments, see you tomorrow.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

1 - 9 of 9 Posts