Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to this article on CNN, Jessica paraded through town in the back of a red Mustang convertible when she arrived home. She's a double hero now!! ::

"After speaking to reporters, Lynch sat beside Contreras and her brother, Greg -- also a soldier -- in a red convertible Ford Mustang for a trip by military motorcade to Palestine, her small hometown about three miles away."

I tried to find pics of the parade, but couldn't. I wonder if the convertible was a nice vintage one, or some 2003 with the dealership's name plastered to the door. If anyone finds pics, post them here.

Welcome home Jessica. And thank you to the others that didn't make it home.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Her story (the true one) reminds us that heroes come in all shapes and sizes. People could learn a lot from her, on many levels.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I don't understand all the hoopla. I'm very happy she survived her capture but that was all she did. The people who rescued her and kicked butt should be getting a parade too IMO.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't understand all the hoopla. I'm very happy she survived her capture but that was all she did. The people who rescued her and kicked butt should be getting a parade too IMO.
That's probably the most exciting thing that has happened to that town. Plus it helps that she is kinda pretty. If she was some huge beast I doubt she would be as popular.

·
Registered
230 Posts
She survived what a lot of men did not live through.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
How about a parade for each one of the Vietnam vets and POWs that came back (or never made it back)? No disrespect to Jessica, but everytime I see the media circus around her I think of all the guys that did time in Vietnam and came back to the opposite reaction. I think they deserve it too.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We call that Veteran's Day. And our local club loads up all the vets we can, and parade through town as they wave to the crowd. My stepdad is a Vietnam Vet, and he was a little aprehensive about doing a parade. But he received a hearty welcome from the crowd, and is already asking if we'll be doing it next year.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
I sleep well at night because of our veterans like Jessica. Wasn't there a story that she emptied her clip at the enemy?

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Yes, I am familiar with Veterans Day. It was originally known as Armistice Day after the end of WWI, and in 1954 was re-named Veteran's day. Seems to me, like many shows on the history channel, most efforts are aimed at WW1 and WW2 vets. Besides, I am referring to national recognition, not a parade in your small town.
His reaction alone to public appearances should clue you in to the (dis)welcome many vets returned to by spitting anti-war protestors.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I beleive the real story was that she was knocked out when her Humer rear ended a tractor trailer in front of them.That is not to take away from her at all! In my book they are all heros!She is just the one the media is focusing on.They should go back and focus on the young sargeant that was a "cook" that fired all his amo,and then was stabbed!The word is he took several with him!God bless them all!My son is still at sea.FastE

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I agree with Bish...what's the big deal? I'm glad she's alive, but it's the one's who rescued her that should be the big deal. It's the ones that are dead that should be the big deal and they only get a passing mention on the news. but jessica gets a 5 minute segment everytime she walks out of her house for being so brave to dare walk out of her house.

But anyways...no disrespect meant towards her as a fellow service member, just disrepect towards teh wacked media.

Slade

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Yes, and it was not true! She sustained her injuries in the accident of her vehicle during the attack. The Army has not acknowledged any of that story (emptying her clip) to be true. But I agree, she is still a hero for being there, and having the tenacity to survive. Too bad she (they) had to be there in the first place.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I truely despise the media's attention on this. How often do you hear about the fact that the only reason they were captured is that they got LOST and wondered into the wrong area.

oh, and this whole thing about empting her clip. If you had a bunch if Iraqi coming over the hill after YOU, do you think you would be saving ammo???

I try and take confort in the fact that at least this is positive media attention for our soliders.

THANK A VET that you have the right to cheer/whine about.

James
military brat for 18 years

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The Pentagon started, and some believe hyped, the media coverage of this event. The media did report what are the apparent facts surrounding her capture -- got lost, had a wreck, etc. The Pentagon said she emptied her clip and was fighting to the death. The media just reported what the Pentagon originally said.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts