Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I think I have reached to point of trying to tune and correctly jet my 3 Deuce set up on my 347 stroker. Has any one done a SBF with this set up and can give me clue what you are running in both the primary and secondary's. Also, what power valves are you using? I know to set them according to vacuum but where to start? It would be helpful so I don't have to buy 100 jets and support Holley in the manner to which they would like to become accustomed. MANY thanks! Mel

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Maybe ZRay will have some advise . Mine is still sitting on the shelf .

·
Registered
438 Posts
Maybe ZRay will have some advise . Mine is still sitting on the shelf .
I have a tripower that I tried to put on my 73 302 in my 65. The setup I put on I thought was clean. But after a host of problems from a needle sticking to the linkages jamming and sending the rpms sky high (really just bad luck). I couldn't get the car to not to run rich with at idle I couldn't get the car to not run rich at idle. So I decided to back off and have my 289 (another engine) rebuilt before I tried again. What I did in the mean time was buy tri power info from HP trends- it was around $20 bucks and it's geared towards FE engines but a lot of the principles still work for a SBF. Also I am going to add an AFR gauge so I can see how it runs at idle/part throttle and wide open. Tuning it should be easier than making run after run replacing jets. Right now I have 52 outer jets and 58 centers with a 6.5 power valve. Its just a start. I won't find out until next season how this will work. Also look on ebay there's guy who sells jets at half the price that most speed shops sell them and he has more variety. I'd be curious on your progress keep us posted :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
69 RR thanks for the info. I also bought the HP- trends book for $20. AND you are correct it (as well as most of the other sources) deal with the 390 and other BB. I got my set up from a guy who got it from a guy that built a '68 289 but passed away before it got installed or even started. So it is basically new (never had gas in it.) I now have it set up on a '66 289 which is stroked to 347.

He had it set up with the primary (center) with #50 jets and a 6.5 power valve. The secondary's have #55 jets and the power valve blocked. I ran in the cam and now wanted to start tuning. I'm in the same boat as I won't be able to get it out on the road until next spring.

I bought the #40, #50, and #60 jets from ebay just as you noted. I'll let you know what I find you! Please do the same.
Thanks again, Mel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts