Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's not a big deal. I know as always that he means well. I know that to err is human. But still. There I am this morning, riding to work and reading the writeup in the January '06 Mustang & Fords of a really bitchen '65 fb converted to M II and a 385 series 466. It's the usual Jim Smart, which I guess you like it or you don't, but this quote really hit me like a Berkeley speed bump at 50 mph: "When Joe fires this puppy up, you can hear the Rolling Stones, Jimmie Hendricks, The Beatles, Janice Joplin, and The Doors."

JANICE? JIMMIE? HENDRICKS?

OK, not a big deal. But still.

·
Administrator
19,505 Posts
Well, that's what the magazine proofreaders/tech editors are supposed to catch, or maybe they changed it? I know they have changed things in the past that he wrote correctly and they messed up. Yeah, I pointed them out to him. It's Tucson, not Tuscon, folks.

·
Registered
900 Posts
"...riding to work and reading the writeup...." I hope you weren't driving.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
It was their many errors and articles that read like blatant, obvious plugs for their advertisers that made me not renew. I didn't have any confidence that they were supplying any kind of objective information.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that's what the magazine proofreaders/tech editors are supposed to catch, or maybe they changed it? I know they have changed things in the past that he wrote correctly and they messed up. Yeah, I pointed them out to him. It's Tucson, not Tuscon, folks.
You know, I didn't think of that, that Jim had spelled Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix correctly, and some Gen-X-er changed it.

Anyway, for those of us who knew the mystery, the power, the danger of The Jimi Hendrix Experience, that "Jimmie Hendricks" bit -- sounds like some rail-ridin' hobo guitar picker -- was just too funny to pass up. No hard feelings, I hope.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"...riding to work and reading the writeup...." I hope you weren't driving.
Sittin in the back seat recliner of my Maybach 62, sippin some Dom, of course.

·
Administrator
19,505 Posts
It's probably what happened. I wrote two articles for their website (actually four, but am still waiting for the last two to be used) and they were re-entered, which resulted in several grammatical and punctuation errors that were not in my original text. Jim sends his articles and columns to the Florida office, where the print is "set." He doesn't get to see what happens until it comes out in the magazine, just like all the other writers. :paranoid:

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Let alone that Jimi and Janis were not on the major air waves in 65!
I hear what your saying...stick do writing about the car and forget about being cool....leave that to all of us.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I noticed he also had to put in his blurb about the 351C being a "middle block" like he does every time he writes about them, despite the fact that I've provided him with factory Ford documentation stating that it's part of the Ford small block family.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i like him overall. a lotta errors can be very distracting though.
i think that if they're making a lotta errors month after month, i don't really wanna hear any excuses or reasons for it, if there's a problem FIX IT. if spelling is an issue every month, time to fire who's in charge of editing final copy, or revamp the process that isn't working.

i'm an easy customer though. i'll buy anything that's chalked full of classic stangs.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Sittin in the back seat recliner of my Maybach 62, sippin some Dom, of course.
:rofl:
Hey, got any Grey Poupon in there??? :joker:

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
i like him overall. a lotta errors can be very distracting though.
i think that if they're making a lotta errors month after month, i don't really wanna hear any excuses or reasons for it, if there's a problem FIX IT. if spelling is an issue every month, time to fire who's in charge of editing final copy, or revamp the process that isn't working.

i'm an easy customer though. i'll buy anything that's chalked full of classic stangs.
Exactly. It doesn't matter if it's the writer or the proof readers, it's all the magazine and it reflects on the magazine the same either way. Now excuse me while I use spell checker!

ps - While I was using spell checker, it informed me that you misspelled a few words there, Chris. Please note that it's "Lot of", not lotta, and it's "Want to", not wanna. And you really should capitalize the first letter in a sentence! ::

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I know it's not a big deal. I know as always that he means well. I know that to err is human. But still.
Some of us are more human than others... :biggrin:
Daniel

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
ps - While I was using spell checker, it informed me that you misspelled a few words there, Chris. Please note that it's "Lot of", not lotta, and it's "Want to", not wanna. And you really should capitalize the first letter in a sentence! ::
Tsk, tsk...you missed "chalked full", which should be "chock full"! ::

·
Registered
71 Mach1, Mcode, AOD, 4 wheel discs, Ram air, Cragars in Vermilion Fire paint.
967 Posts
speaking of Jimi Hendrix, I was at a party last Saturday and the host had thousands of old music clips playing on his projector non stop.

we all had a turn at asking for requests.

I picked Voodoo Chile followed by Whole Lotta Love.
Boy, if you ever want to clear a room out full of oldies!

To them it must've sounded like screeching your fingernails down a blackboard!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked Voodoo Chile followed by Whole Lotta Love.
Boy, if you ever want to clear a room out full of oldies!

To them it must've sounded like screeching your fingernails down a blackboard!
That's funny, over here Cadillac's TV advertising theme song for the past two years has been "Rock and Roll" off Led Zepp IV. Watch any sporting event and you get to hear it at least five times. I guess they're trying to push their demographic downward, at least keep it south of the life expectancy averages.

Led Zepp II: the only album I've owned on vinyl, 8-track, cassette, and CD. I'll probably end up making an MP3 copy if I ever get a player.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hahahahaha. Yes, I'm definitely not the one to critique anyone on their spelling or grammar problems.
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

PS- "Hahahahhaha" is the only word that came up as misspelled in this post, I have to use that button more often!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,371 Posts
I don't care if someone in an magazine makes mistakes. I make mistakes. What I want to know is WHO PROOFREADS their stuff? Seriously. Who? Off the top of my head I can think of at least 6 VMF'ers who likely could be paid with a free subscription (including me) to proofread a few e-mailed articles a month.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts