Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't posted much lately, but I ran across this on craigslist and thought you might be interested. I have read how you lust after 6t9mach1's car.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/car/563839224.html

I have no idea who the seller is but it looks like a decent deal.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good.
Looks like you might have a road trip in your future. But hey, it's still Ohio.
I just hope this isn't the same guy who last week on craigslist was wanting someone to put floors, wheelhouses, 1 shock tower and quarters on his 69FB.
I will apologize up front if that turns out to be the case. :shocked:

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
now there will be no living with him...

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Are you gonna go look at that Mach, Jim, or are you all talk ;)

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
ooohhh challenge :blah: :stirpot:

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I don't know yet. I actually just came across what might be a great deal on a TVR. Mine needs restored, and this one has had everything restored except for assembly and paint. He wants $2k more for it than what I'm pretty sure I can get for mine, and I would put close to $10k in mine to restore it. Only problem is that it's 450 miles away and I have no easy way of getting it to my place, so I'm working on that now. So to answer your question, I can't answer your question! Anybody have any ideas of how to get a non-running car with many boxes of parts from near NYC to Ohio? I'm all ears. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
Anybody have any ideas of how to get a non-running car with many boxes of parts from near NYC to Ohio? I'm all ears.
Isn't your truck running?

Seriously though, towing about 4,000 lbs (car and trailer) your looking at what 10 mpg (this is probably generous)? The trip is 900 miles right? Gas is $3.00 a gallon, so it will likely cost you $300 in fuel, $100 to rent trailer (U Haul is $49.99 a day) and lets say $200 for food and lodging. So your looking at about $600 to get it yourself. To have it shipped your probably going to spend about a grand.

So are your boys up for a road trip?

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
68fastwilliams said:
Anybody have any ideas of how to get a non-running car with many boxes of parts from near NYC to Ohio? I'm all ears.
Isn't your truck running?

Seriously though, towing about 4,000 lbs (car and trailer) your looking at what 10 mpg (this is probably generous)? The trip is 900 miles right? Gas is $3.00 a gallon, so it will likely cost you $300 in fuel, $100 to rent trailer (U Haul is $49.99 a day) and lets say $200 for food and lodging. So your looking at about $600 to get it yourself. To have it shipped your probably going to spend about a grand.

So are your boys up for a road trip?
Except my truck tops out at 60 mph, making it a very long trip. It aslo gets 8 mpg UNLOADED, and last year when I trailered my tractor up to Cleveland it got 5 mpg. None of that matters, though, because I only use my truck locally and it's in no shape to make a trip like that.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Believe me, if I could justify a better truck, I'd have one. But I drive 84 miles a day, and can't afford to drive a pickup to work. Tell em the second they come out with a truck that gets 30 mpg and can haul 10k lbs, I'm there!

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
About 15 mpg is what I used to get on the freeway. I should be able to do better than that with the overdrive I'm putting in it. Then theres the fact that it cost me a fraction of a new truck and the insurance will be lower, etc...
Really, though, that truck is my baby, more than any other vehicle I have, so it's not getting replaced - ever.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I haven't worked on it in 7 years. It's been sitting in my barn since we moved. No pics, as I didn't have a digcam then! It's nothing all that special, just special to me. It's a '77 3/4 ton 2WD standard cab. It has some neat options, though, such as the 454 engine, tilt wheel, A/C, towing package, 1 ton rear brakes, heavy duty suspenion, dual tanks, trans cooler, etc..
It's about half restored as it sits. I've got all the body work on the cab done, and I bought a rust free bed for it. I have new OEM GM fenders for the front and the doors are repairable, but I haven't started on them. The frame is pretty clean, and the steering and suspension are good, so I may not even touch those. I go back and forth with that, since it wouldn't take much to tear it down and make it real nice, but I plan on using the truck as a truck, so I'm not sure it's worth the effort.
The engine and trans still need rebuilt or replaced. My plan is for a stock restoration visually, but with some tasteful mechanical upgrades. It's #1 on my list once the shop is done (which should be soon! Yea!!!), since when I get it done I'll be able to get rid of the other truck (and have a truck I can drive long distances!).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts