Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was anyone else here wowed by the JME gauges in the April (I think) Mustang Monthly? They looked GREAT on that 68. I was all ready to order a setup until seeing that they cost $700!!!! Holy mark-up Batman!

The 65/66 gauges have a billet bezel and are only $50 more including the gauges. The 67/68 is a regular dash bezel with gauges. What gives on the $700 price tag?

I need to replace the bezel and tach on my 67 (moron PO put an aftermarket tach on TOP of the existing one) and would like to get some nice aftermarket but not gaudy gauges. Has anyone done this without spending a ridiculous amount of cash?

Thanks,
Aaron

Houston, TX - 67 Fastback in restoration. A-code, C-4, 9" Traction-Loc rear.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe" - Carl Sagan

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I suspect you are paying for the harness that ties all of the guages together and plugs into the existing dash harness, as well as a little markup. Not everyone will use them so there is a relatively smaller market than reproduction bumpers. Maybe Jegs or Summit will carry them?

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12535662&p=46267978&Sequence=1.jpg

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
The price is due to the time involved in machining the orginal housing. I did the conversion myself about 2 years ago and I would gladly pay JME the asking price the second time around. And no I will not tell you how I did it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

It's in the archives, do a bit of searching.

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Do you have any pictures Jay?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'm shocked! A do-it-yourself kind of guy would PAY the next time around? What happened? LOL!

Actually, I'm considering paying the prevailing rate. I have enough decisions with a 5.0 and new fuel delivery system.

"What we have here is--failure to communicate."

67 GTA (clone) coupe soon to be 5.0L w/Edelbrock 1406

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have been thinking about getting the JME set up for the 65 Mustang this week. I spoke at length to JME yesterday. If you supply the guages then you only pay for the bezel. If you send them the guages they will install them and make you a custom wiring harness with disconnect for the car side for $100.00. I am thinking about using the VDO Millenium guages. The kit comes with a complete wiring harness for 320.00. With the bezel thats about 670.00. You could buy the Haneline bezel also, but I don't think it looks as good. Even if you remove that engine turned facia. I just can't decide if I want white faced or black faced guages. So hard to figure out when you have never had white guages to stare at. Anyone have a good picture of the 65' set-up in their can with white guages? I like the VDO idea - Carbon fiber white during the day, black at night.

Kory

Mustang Parts makes a great addiction.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Too much time involved and too much on the line. You have to basically destroy the original housing and unless like me at the time you have 3 or 4 laying around it's risky. Also, I had to remove the gauge bezels and glue the glass back on (no warranty now)... JME earns that $750 trust me!

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I agree w/your opinion about the Haneline bezel. It appearance is too shiny but the price is reasonable.

"What we have here is--failure to communicate."

67 GTA (clone) coupe soon to be 5.0L w/Edelbrock 1406

·
Administrator
19,484 Posts
I first thought about the JME gauges about two years ago, but when I saw Haneline's setup with the metal fascia, I thought it was terrific. I know a lot of people don't like it, but I think it's perfect for my fastback. I'm also going to the matching inserts for the dash, consoles, and the 67 door panels I'll be using.

I love it when a plan comes together!

[color:red]1968 Coupe, "Murphy" - Original (car and owner)</font color=red>
[color:blue]1968 Fastback, "Trouble" - Restomod</font color=blue>
[color:white]1967-1968 MCA Certified Judge</font color=white>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts