Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one question left to answer on the certification test and I have looked for days and can't find documentation to answer it. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. The question is "The material and finish of the valve cover gaskets for a 67-68 mustang with the 390-4v motor was ..........

If anyone could tell me where to look for documentation to support an answer it would be appreciated.

Thanks David

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
In my experiance not all questions asked in these tests can be found in books or Ford documents .... only through hands on exposure and experiance with the cars.

When I was consructing some of them I included pictures of engine compartments and asked what you observed that you would deduct for or have worded situational questions.

Does the test require you to provide documentation for each of your answers? Or are you looking for it so that you feel comfortable with your response?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Jeff, I do not need documentation for the answers, I just feel more comfortable having something to back up my answers if I do not have first hand knowledge of it myself.

BTW so far the only information I have found was a picture of a 68 with a 390 and it had a caption that said the valve cover gaskets were cork with silver paint on them.

On the test it is actually a multiple choice question,
1 cork
2 cork with a silver covering
3 black rubber
4 none of the above

Thanks for your help
David

·
Registered
406 Posts
Jeff,

You are correct about some of the questions on the 67-68 certification test. Some answers are not in Ford documentation and are best learned from hands-on experience.

There are two versions of the 67-68 certification test that MCA currently is using which I authored before my "departure" from MCA.

Regards,

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Would this not be in the MPC?

In this situation no plus I doubt that the poster has access to a 68 MPC. Later versions list replacement parts (replacements for superseded) rather than the original pieces. In other cases they list do not represent production line parts and finishes. The only version I know that is somewhat available to the general public or reprinted in other publications is the 72 version

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Well then I have a question :)

The idea of the tests is to see how you would handle such a question during a show. So, how would you judge (how many points would you deduct) if four different cars each had one of those choices?

This is why a good judge must be always learning and expanding their knowledge. No one knows everything just some have more experiance. The more you know and others think you know, the more ther is to know.

My choice is listed in your email.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Well I just tore down my original 67 390 and I can tell you for sure my gaskets are cork with silver spots on it. It's not completely silver along the edges. It may have burned or wore off. But this engine has never been apart. So I am just stating what my original gaskets look like NOW .

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Mike were the staplers (holding the gasket to the valve covers) still there?

The paint likely worn, chipped or fell off over the years. Someone had a set of NOS FE valve cover gaskets the other day on E**y there were an older (50's) set of numbers. The replacement #C8 ones I've never seen painted right out of the package

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just 2 cents worth + more questions.
Sorry but half the fun in research is extracting the history!
I'm taking the same test plus the 64 1/2-65 test and the 66 test. I'm trying to maintain notes indicating what the source of each answer was so that I can retrieve it in the future when challenged. I feel obligated to do it that way because this information will influence the car owner and it should be accurate and correct.

What was the book & author - Tom Corcoran?
If some poor sucker is going to pull off his valve covers to squirt some silver paint on his gaskets and later find out that it wasn't necessary and I tell him I found out by word of mouth (internet) he's gonna be pissed and MCA loses credability.

The research encourages you to build a library, and sometime in the future you might say I remember seeing that somewhere when I was looking for the transmission for the 390 2V X code. What book was that?

The other thing that I'm trying to understand is ?WHY? Did FORD paint /coat the cork gasket? Was it for looks, was it to protect the chrome? Did the factory paint the engine with a set of dummy valve covers and then put the chrome ones on? Could it be that the silver paint was used to identify the 390 gasket or maybe it wasn't paint it was silver residue from the chrome?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Maybe this will help

The other thing that I'm trying to understand is ?WHY? Did FORD paint /coat the cork gasket?

Have not found a ford employee or document that can confirm the reason for sure

Was it for looks, was it to protect the chrome?

Most likely since it was only done for those FE's without chrome valve covers. Even original (NOS) ones can be found painted and unpainted (silver)

Did the factory paint the engine with a set of dummy valve covers and then put the chrome ones on?

No. Like other engines with aluminum and chrome valve covers were painted without valve covers

Could it be that the silver paint was used to identify the 390 gasket or maybe it wasn't paint it was silver residue from the chrome?

No They are found painted on all sides and they were attached (only on silver ones with chrome valve covers) to the valve covers so that the worker did not have to choose a particular gasket.

If some poor sucker is going to pull off his valve covers to squirt some silver paint on his gaskets and later find out that it wasn't necessary and I tell him I found out by word of mouth (internet) he's gonna be pissed and MCA loses credability.

Unfortunately the rules and expectations change as we discover/uncover more about these cars. Turn this around. The guy doesn't and he gets points deducted

I'll see if I can find and post some pictures. May take a day or two to find them

EDIT - In the 6000+ files I got lucky - here they are

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/photopost486/data/575/22314B9AE-6584-C_Gasket-Silver.JPG
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/photopost486/data/575/22314FE_valve_Cvr_Gasket-Silver.JPG

Hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts