Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Installing my Pro-Flo 4 fuel injection kit that "included in the kit" a distributer supposedly made by MSD I am unable to set my base timing accurately because the mark is jumping and scrolling all over. I did set it old school by rotating the engine to the 12º BTDC and lining up the sensor thing in the center of the cut out in the wheel in the dizzy. While I had the intake off I upgraded the roller cam from a Comp XE264HR to a XE274HR. Don't have a clue of the difference other than more lift on the newer cam and the car sounds very different now at idle. I'm 99% sure I got the chain right and I pulled the dizzy today to see if there was gear carnage and there wasn't. Looks to be a melonized gear judging by the smoothness that looks like my melonized gear from the old dizzy. I changed the coil to one listed as working in the installation instructions. My timing light is a recently purchased inductive one, on the cheaper side but worked fine with the old setup. Plug wires are run properly to prevent crossfire. I can lock the timing in the tuning app and rev the engine to 3000 rpm and it doesn't smooth out enough to get an accurate reading. I don't know anybody with a decent timing light and you can't get a loaner from the parts stores. Any ideas?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I know nothing about these computer controlled up grades for Mustangs But on all the computerized vehicles with distributors I worked on there was a connector you had to unplug to prevent the computer from changing the timing. All advance was controlled by the computer. Then you set the base timing and reconnected the connector. Not sure if that is your problem or not? Some of them were not adjustable at all. They have a distributor, you can rotate but it does not matter. All the timing was figured off of the crankshaft sensor. The distributor was just there to deliver the spark to the cylinders.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Usually that sounds like a loose timing chain but since you just put a new cam in I know if there was a chain issue you would have taken care of it. Cross induction will scatter it all over. Not sure what to say. Maybe moving the #1 wire completely away from the other wires?

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
You should easily see the timing steady at your initial setting at idle and you should easily see it advance steadily as you rev the engine. If it's jumping all over the place you either have a defect in the distributor or a defect in the computer that is controlling it.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know nothing about these computer controlled up grades for Mustangs But on all the computerized vehicles with distributors I worked on there was a connector you had to unplug to prevent the computer from changing the timing. All advance was controlled by the computer. Then you set the base timing and reconnected the connector. Not sure if that is your problem or not? Some of them were not adjustable at all. They have a distributor, you can rotate but it does not matter. All the timing was figured off of the crankshaft sensor. The distributor was just there to deliver the spark to the cylinders.
I have the Edelbrock app on a Android tablet that connects to the ECU via bluetooth. All I do is push a button on the app and it locks the timing.

Usually that sounds like a loose timing chain but since you just put a new cam in I know if there was a chain issue you would have taken care of it. Cross induction will scatter it all over. Not sure what to say. Maybe moving the #1 wire completely away from the other wires?
The chain has less than a 1000 miles on it and is tight. I completely separated the #1 wire from everything including wrapping the inductive lead in tin foil because the internet said it would work.
I don't see a pin in your distributor gear, is it pinned 90 deg. to the hole in the picture?
Yes it is pinned.

You should easily see the timing steady at your initial setting at idle and you should easily see it advance steadily as you rev the engine. If it's jumping all over the place you either have a defect in the distributor or a defect in the computer that is controlling it.
That is what I trying to pin down. It's going to be a long time before I can contact Edelbrock for help so I'm trying to figure it out with the forums help.

Thanks for the reply's.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shot in the dark... could it be that the distributor is multi-spark? My understanding is that can screw up some timing lights.
To the best of my knowledge the dizzy is just a copy of a Ford Duraspark. No multispark boxes

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does it do the same thing if you don't press the button on the app? Maybe the app isn't working correctly?
It makes do difference. It seems through following the forums that some timing lights work better than others. I may see if a local shop can check it with their timing light at some point. For obvious reasons I'm not going to go out and buy a fancy timing light at this time and my silly little toy car can wait if necessary.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It turned out my commie timing light was bad. I borrowed an old made in 'Merica Mac timing light from a local shop and all was well!

Wanted one simple made in 'Merica timing light.

Reactions: Huskinhano

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is about as simple as it gets and undoubtedly Made in USA.
I've got the whole Sears Allstate kit! Something about the coil putting out 40,000 volts and cracked rubber on the leads has me a little hesitant to use it though.

Reactions: GT289 and rusty1161

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
That's a "direct wire" timing light. The juice goes straight through that one from the coil to the spark plug.
You'd be ok with a pair of gloves on though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts