Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been calling around and going into some junk yards around where I live, looking for the Granada front brake stuff, and I am finding nothing but greedy people. One place wanted $200 for everything. That seemed high, but the people are nice and I have gotten great deals from them before. I called a few places and they didn't carry any Granada's or Monarch's. I then called another place and they said "Yeah, we got em, $300". Crap, now that is a lot of money for junk!

I am going to go hit up the local PNP today and see if they have one there. If they don't, I might very well have to pay $200 for the setup.

Anyone in the Sonoma, Napa, Coastal, Sacramento Valley areas know where I can find a deal on these darn brakes? I don't mind driving 100 miles to save $50. It just doesn't feel right supporting these crooks with their habit of over charging.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
By the by, I got my junk yard brakes for $150. I was able to get adapters to fit the new brake lines to the master cylinder line instead of having to buy all new lines.

Even at $200 for everything, you're doing better than my bud who just dropped $850 on new brakes - Youch!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
The place I got mine charged $150.00 and pulled them for me. They wanted $200.00 but we settled for $150. If you pay $200, try to make sure the brake assy is in decent shape, ie., brake fluid in lines and prop valve (grab that too), rotors have some life left for one more turning. And try to snag the brake lines and outer tie rod ends too. For $150, the junk yard wouldn't give me theirs. I bought new outer ends anyway, so that didn't matter. If they will pull the brake assy of your choice for you and throw in the extra goodies, they may be worth $200.00.

Despite what I've read about lower prices in researching the granada swap, the brake assys from the junk yards are NOT in the $75.00-100.00 price range. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I needed 1spindle for my Granada setup, I could only find 1 in Milwaukee fo $90! On www.junkyarddog.com i go one for $30 including shipping.

On Dolan Rd. between Santa Cruz and Salinas there are several salvage yards. A buddy got his setup last year for $150 or so, but we had to pull them.

·
Registered
19,973 Posts
I bought my setup a few years ago, paid a wopping $75.00. That also included the mastercylinder and proportioning valve. I had to take it all off. The brakes are fairly new and the rotors are in great shape.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I live in Milwaukee too, so prices may be diff, but I found a guy who cut me a set of 70 mach 1 disks off a parts car, took out the booster and master, and dist. block for $150. I did have to get rebuilt calipers, new pads and rebuild m/c. I also opted for new rotors, and of course new lines and tie rod ends, so add another 300 or so before they are ready to do any braking...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Got mine late last year. Spindles, rotors, calipers, dust shields, proportioning valve. They pulled for me. $85.

Scott

·
Registered
967 Posts
Gene try Hub Auto off of rt83 south of I55 in Lemont/Argonne. They are the first junkyard on the west side as you are going down the hill on Rt83. When I got mine there (last feb) they had three or four maverick,granada monarchs. I paid $100 and they cut the things off with a torch. There is also Southwest or T&S in Lockport on rt171. They both had mavs and granadas and even a 71 coupe with discs. They each wanted $150 and I had to pull them.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
I would watch for some 70-73 spindles, shields, and calipers. I went that route, ended up with $100 in spindles, shields, calipers, and other miscellaneous parts. I ended up with about $500 in the whole project, including powdercoating, NEW rotors... oh hell, everything new. I used the calipers as cores. They work marvelous.

G

·
0 Posts
Here in the east side of the Sierras I have on junkyard that quoted me $250.00 and the other one gave them to me for $100.00 and he took them off the car. He had several Granadas.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
granada,monarch, are a dime a dozen around here. i bought 2 sets,had to pull them myself, for 40.00 a set 3-4 weeks ago while on vacation.. prop.valve,tie rod ends,etc. included. i replaced everything though. calipers,pads,new rubber hoses all very cheap. [ autozone]. was able to turn rotors-money saver- hard to believe the difference in access to junkyards and or prices. guess im very lucky. here in va. lots of old stuff and junkyards still around. i make my rounds to them also. later

·
Registered
188 Posts
there was a 1/2 off sale here in Fresno this weekend at pick n pull, thats where I got mine for around $80 a couple of months ago, the setup should not cost more than $150 tops, I just did not return some cores, so I paid more for the set-up than I should have, oh well.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Cruise back alleys and peek in people's back yards. I found mine there, took all the parts i wanted all for $20 Cdn.....about $9.50 American haha.

G

·
0 Posts
A couple of weekends ago I got two set of Granada disc brakes all for $100 at salvage yard that has nothing but pre-80's cars, I plan to use one and sell the other on or somewhere. If that works out, then I'm going to go back and get another pair; the only bad thing is that I have to take them off by hand and the guy who runs the yard doesn't allow you to use a cutting torch.

There are deals around on the disc brakes, they are just hard to find.

Personaly I can't see paying $1200 for some of these new brakes kits. Most of the mid 70's hardware and spindles are a lot tougher that the stuff they are making today!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
My brother has all those prices beat! $50.00!!!! Plus he drove the damn thing home and he borrowed the money from me!!! He ain't gonna pay me back either!! Says I owed it to him (I did!)
He is THE best at finding a good price. He even bought a car on friday once and fixed it with free parts, cleaned it up, put some cheap hubcaps ($5.00 garage sale) and the guy he bought it from
offered to buy it back on monday for 3 times what he sold it for!!!
Ended up selling it for 6 times what he had in it and still drove it for over a year as an ugly vehicle for
garage sales and old car shopping.
Bruce (TX)

G

·
0 Posts
I paid $100 for the spindles and $15 for the distribution block a few years back in Phoenix. Didn't have to pull them off the car.

I still have an extra set of Lincoln spindles if you want to try a spacer, hee hee.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts