Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come to realize I have been spending my time the last few weeks searching the junkyards for the holy grails of mustang parts.

1. An 8" posi

2. A decently priced T-5.

I have just about given up on finding a T-5 priced reasonably and decided to purchase either a T-5z or a quality rebuilt unit. I have been able to find them easily enough but the lowest price I have been quoted so far is $650 (are you kidding me). I have been quoted as high as $800. These are straight pull outs from junkers (not rebuilt). I had hoped to find a reasonably priced T-5 and have it rebuilt before installation, perhaps saving myself a few bucks but it looks like the small amount of money I would be saving considering the prices I am getting would not be worth it. I'll be able to spend just a small amount more and get either a new T-5z or a good rebuilt. Which some of you suggested in earlier posts.

Who has good prices on a new T-5z?
Any suggestions where I can check on a good rebuilt one?

Oh, and as far as the 8" posi goes, whenever I ask about one the guy behind the counter just looks, shakes his head, and chuckles...lol.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
IIRC, there was a place in Michigan that somebody posted about a few months ago selling new T5s for less than $900. As with any large part, the price didn't include freight. You might do a search to see if you can find that thread.

As far as a limited-slip 8-inch is concerned, in some parts of the country, V6 and V8 Mustang IIs are still the best source. IMO - the web site "mustangii.net" is the best place to find the rear end codes for those cars listed by ratio and other characteristics.

Before this thread ends, though, you're probably gonna hear some people say there are few or no Mustang IIs in yards in their area.The reason I qualified Mustang IIs as the best source "in some parts of the country" is because the years of cars filling junk yards seems to vary from region to region.

It seems to me that in the rust belt, almost all of the 70s cars cycled through the yards long ago. Here in the west, junkyards still have plenty of 70s and early eighties cars because they stayed on the road alot longer.

In any case - good hunting.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must be in one of the regions that has very few mustang 2s left in the junk yards. I have been trying to go out 1 day a week for the last several weeks and so far have seen 2 that were v8 cars and one of those was a king cobra that the owner of the yard said he was going to restore one day and wouldn't part out. I am guessing it was probably an 8" posi or could have been a 9" I guess, I couldn't get close enough to it to tell. The thing I have found most of is Mavericks and Comets but haven't found one with a posi. I found one Grabber but it had an open rear end in it.

·
Administrator
19,304 Posts
No luck on T5's around here either. Everybody seems to be in agreement on what they're worth. Used prices are just way too close to brand new. $900 new sounds like the best deal going.
I managed to stumble onto an 8" limited slip under a 68 Ranchero. The owner had no idea and only vaguely recalled even having the vehicle. I pulled the chunk myself and he charged me $25. I wish you the same luck. Keep poking around. Backwoods country junyards are best.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i got a T-5 at a junk yard for $100, I put it in and have not had any problems with it so far /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
buy a used t5 for $300 or so from someone upgrading power wise... if you going to spend money on a new tranny spend $1.5k on a TKO2 or something like that and never worry about blowing it up from abuse

just my advice

·
Registered
680 Posts
You need to go to some of the late model Mustang sites. They always have t-5's for sale. You should be able to buy one in need of rebuild for $300. or less. When I sold the t-5 that I had in my car, I gave him another one for free. All it needed was third gear syncro. Wish I still had it, I would let you have it real cheap.....Sorry

·
Registered
981 Posts
denver had a 8" posi listed in the parts section a few weeks ago

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is what I had hoped for...although I didn't figure I'd find one as cheap as you did.

I remember buying a 350 chevy engine with a turbo 350 auto tranny for $150 about 15 years ago that I put in a 1975 Vega wagon. Prices have sure changed since then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts