Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that this had been brought up before, but I couldn't find anything with the search.
anyway, what are some possibilities out there? I would want it to look reasonably like the Mustang column, not like the one in my truck(it is rectangular where the levers are, adding an aftermarket steering wheel would look really bad)

Buying a flaming river one is a long term option, but we are talking a long long time for that.

I think that I will need to do this becuase of my size. :( Being 48 and having a hundred pounds extra makes crawling in and out of tight spots difficult at best.

thanks.
Russ

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've considered this for my 68. I'm 6' 2", so I had to put a smaller ugly wheel on it to get my legs under the wheel. Have you thought of moving your seats back? I made some brackets and moved mine back 2 inches and it made a world of difference. I posted the same question earlier this year and didn't get much help. There was one guy who had a link to a page where his dad made a swap from a Lincoln, but didn't have a lot of info on what mods were needed. This winter, I was going to hit the pick and pull looking for a tilt column from a floor shifted car that was around the same length and see what I could fab up.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I willmost likely end up moving the seat back also. But even in my wife's Trailblazer, I have to use the tilt to be comfortable. Plus, I just remembered that I tend to lower the wheel when driving to the lowest it will go. It has been years since I drove a Mustang, but I got a feeling that the wheel sits too high for me to be comfortable driving it.
I suppose I should just break down and measure my column, since it is out of the car, and then start hitting the yards. Problem is I am like a kid in a candy store at those places. :p It is easier(cheaper) if I know what i want and can just ask for that alone, rather than wandering around.

Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
37,427 Posts
How about the column from a later model truck? The column in my 80 F250 was pretty much identical to the ealier cars and had the tilt where you pushed on the t/s lever. Should be pretty much the same to 86.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
T-Bird tilt setup?

I have to brag a little bit...I got a tilt column with solenoid, relay, vacuum motor & bracket for $60 from the previous owner of my car! The deals are still out there but are getting very few and far between.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I will look into those. Sounds doable.
Russ

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UGH. Too many pieces to have go wrong for me. I like things simple.
I never have heard why the Mustang tilt columns needed all that stuff anyway?
Russ

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I have a Word document that describes how to make some adapter brackets that will relocate your seat 2.5" rearward. No welding required and using readily available parts. Fore-and-aft adjustment is retained. Only mod to the seat is a couple of holes drilled in the bottom.

Email me at [email protected] and I'll send it to you.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
email sent.
Thanks!
Russ

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The t-bird column will not work. Too long. Plus they are all column shift automatics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts