Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a junk yard tranny for my wife's 2001 Trooper. They all want $1000 - 1300. They mileage ranges from 78K to 170K miles. I think they are worth ~ $500 and use as is. Am I wrong with the value? A reman tranny is $1800 with a 3 year warranty. Alan

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,377 Posts
Those 4L30E's are good sellers, they're asking about what the market will bear.. Around here they are easily bringing $700-800 with well over 100K miles. Good used ones are getting rarer after 15 years. They weren't the best transmissions to start with. I would NOT buy a used one without some kind of warranty. All used transmissions are a bit of a gamble and this one in particular. They're not much fun nor cheap to rebuild either.

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those 4L30E's are good sellers, they're asking about what the market will bear.. Around here they are easily bringing $700-800 with well over 100K miles. Good used ones are getting rarer after 15 years. They weren't the best transmissions to start with. I would NOT buy a used one without some kind of warranty. All used transmissions are a bit of a gamble and this one in particular. They're not much fun nor cheap to rebuild either.
Good input, I don't think in the end a salvage yard will honor a warranty. Its a crap shoot. Ill could buy a re-manufactured trans from autozone from 4 companies, All transmission $1860, Power-train solutions $2200, National Trans $2400, and Movaras trans $1900. All with 3yr warranty.

·
Just some guy
20,377 Posts
Salvage yards all have warranties. Some 30 days, some 90 days or so. They warranty the part to be good. Labor changing it is on you. Generally speaking, if you get the transmission in and it works, you're good. Pretty why there is a 30 day warranty. Time enough for you to get it fixed, tested, and on the road.
I've never heard of those reman companies, but then you just about have to hold a gun on me to get me to go into AutoZone and actually talk to anybody who works there. When you're spending that money it's all about the warranty. If they mention ATRA warranty, that's good as it's an association of nationwide shops where you can get trouble seen to even if you are out of town. You may have heard of Jasper and their engines. They now do transmissions. They have a good warranty but I'm not impressed by their quality of work.
I like Transtar units, they rebuild them with good stuff inside. Even better than what GM's rebuilders do. Warranty is excellent. If it's anything more than a minor issue, they just pay to swap the entire transmission out for another freshly rebuilt one. Since they are the biggest supplier of transmission parts out there, about every transmission shop deals with them and can do warranty work.
If you're looking at spending that kind of money, see if there is local shop that rebuilds 4l30's and get an estimate. You can't beat a good local shop if you ever have an issue. Finding such a shop is the trick though.

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone used the Pick N Pull Row52? Good or bad experiences? Its a way to have a picker pull a part and ship it to you for a fee. Pick N Pull has many 2001 4x4 troopers listed but too far away. PnP transmissions are $99. So I think I could get one for under $500 delivered.

·
Just some guy
20,377 Posts
No I haven't. But I have been in PnP lots. Some of them have a policy where they don't buy actual wrecks. They stock vehicles that are off the road for reasons other than crash damage. The Pull-A-Part in Charlotte NC I like to visit for example. The odds are VERY high that a Trooper like yours in such a yard has a bad transmission. I'd feel a lot better if one came from a vehicle that was obviously powering itself down the road until it hit something. You'd want to try and be sure you get one like that. Still a pretty big gamble, not only the money, but the trouble swapping it out. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Has anyone used the Pick N Pull Row52? Good or bad experiences? Its a way to have a picker pull a part and ship it to you for a fee. Pick N Pull has many 2001 4x4 troopers listed but too far away. PnP transmissions are $99. So I think I could get one for under $500 delivered.
Dont forget the core charge.
I have used them but only pulling parts myself. Its a crap shoot. To pay to pull one then ship it is a bigger crap shoot because you're blowing the savings and warranty on labor and shipping. If there were one close enough to you to drive to it would be more economical.
They have good exchange warranties within that 30 or 90 days, whichever, you bring the old one in, then you have to pull another one yourself(or pay another guy to do it) out as replacement.

Craigslist.
Maybe you can find an individual parting one out or selling whole as a wreck or blown engine or even as a ragged out beater. Then sell the leftover hulk to a scrapper.

Are those trannys too complex or for a shop to "refresh" for $7-800? Every trans shop I know will also give payment plan options to get you back on the road.

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
You may have heard of Jasper and their engines. They now do transmissions. They have a good warranty but I'm not impressed by their quality of work.

I'll by an Autozone or a JY trans before I'll ever buy a Jasper POS transmission! The trans in my 04 Isuzu Accender, (Chevy Trailblazer) suddenly took a dump as I was turning around in my driveway. No warning no nothing just died. No body by me rebuilds transmissions. They all put remans in. So I get a Jasper POS and about a week later it's shifting so hard, it's like getting rear ended by a tractor trailer. Back to the shop for another POS. A few months later that one is doing the same thing. Back to the shop for the third Jasper POS. It's been about a year, we hardly drive the car now but so for so good. We spent about $600 on car rentals too, they didn't want to know anything. Oh did I say I'd never buy any POS Jasper anything? That Jasper trans was $3000 not including the rental cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts