Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a 69 351w+71 429+72 351w,what do i need to do to see if these are rebuidable.The prices are $200 ea. for 351 +$350 for 429.these are complete minus carbs.and are still in the cars that are not running.Plan on using a toploader.Thanks

G

·
Check for heavy rust in the intake where the carb bolts onto.if the hoods are gone off any of the cars,,,forget that engine.The 429 would be a good buy if it's of the 4-V variety.That was the last year for good horsepower.the 69 windsor is a good one too,,,,but check the milage,,,they are bad about burned exhaust valves with running on unleaded gas for these many years.I would take a "Known-good" carb with me and try to start them if you have the time.Many of those salvage yards will make you a "package" deal if you pay cash and take them all,,,,as-is,,,That is the way i buy my engines.As-is. I have lost on a few,,,,but had really good luck on many.The problem with Ford engines is the thin-wall castings,,,,they crack really easy if there was no antifreze in the blocks.In your area this is even a greater problem to look for,,Check for blown freeze-out plugs too.If they are popped,,,those engines had better get REAL cheap,,,,LOL.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts