Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking I'm going to be pulling the I6 out and using it for a bottom-up enginestand rebuild; I've tortured myself for months reading and re-reading about the darn thing and I've come to the conclusion that what I wanna do is going to take longer than I care to have the car sit. So with that in mind, and seeing as I'm planning to hit the junkyards/pullaparts anyways, I'm going to go hunting up an engine just to get the darn thing rolling again. So suggestions are what I'm hunting here, bang for the buck budget build yankers. Here's the bullets.

~EFI
~MPG Economy
~Moderate amount of Modification
~No cutting the towers (sticking with the stock suspension-style)

I know plenty of threads have hit on this subject, but frankly, I'm looking at suggestions and stories of attempts. This is not going to be a show-deal, and fact of the matter is, it's gonna be a butt-ugly swap. Go!:pirate:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Go for a KA24E from a nissan. Just because I want to see what all is involved. I have one in my truck and think it would be OK in a Mustang. Gets 21mpg in my truck, makes around 140 hp, and is very reliable.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,662 Posts
Not sure what you're up to but if you are going back with the 200 one day, I wouldn't screw the car around too much. How about another straight six? Maybe a later 250 from a Fairmont or such. No EFI, but you would get Duraspark ignition. Drive it, beat on it, hotrod it whatever. And if you choose to invest in a header, 2V carb, or whatever, it will be there ready to be bolted back to the 200. No wasted money or effort.
Just a thought. The old small sixes were pretty darn durable. Some old school junkyards should have some cheap because they never expect to sell them. Lots of VMF'ers have swapped to V8's. There should be a number of direct-swap 200's out there too.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I believe you can get Ford modular V8's in there with out changing the front suspension by either notching the shock towers, or replacing the shock towers with a notched version for that conversion. A +99 4.6 isn't bad should be cheap, and very available. Just another suggestion that Ive kicked around myself. Personally I like the thought of getting one cheap forging the internals and putting a big blower on it :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yeah they are out there. I sold a good running '69 250 for $250 with a C4 in unknown condition last summer.

As for your other ideas, you will screw around longer fooling with the ignition, exhaust, electronics for efi, fan, etc. than you think... you could have the I6 rebuilt and back in before then.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I must admit, that 5.0 swap looks pretty tempting as canidates go (and the weblink's pretty darn informative). If I come across a nice 5.0 in the search for a T-5, I'll have to grab it.

As for what I've in mind here, guys? I'm pulling the I6 for the simple reason that, to do what I want, the engine will need a complete rebuild. A turbo's in it's future, and aside from the basics, I'm going to be doing a lot of hunting for a good head to work on, probably from a later model, for the improved airflow. In the meantime? I'll be grinding, modifying, and basically familiarizing myself with what I've my hands on now (and possibly throwing a triple-carb on if the mood strikes). It's extreme, particularly for a non-track car, but I'm a strange guy when it comes to the proverbial wild-hair.

So, I'm hunting another engine to stuff in while I tinker. Quick, dirty. Think of it like an affair. Feels good, cheap, and no hurt feelings. And while the 5.0 swap sounds inviting, I'd love to hear more idea's! Because, when all is said and done, the Junk Motor will have another lot in life. Once I find the 69' Coupe to put it in to. :)

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
well why not find another I6 and just build it on the side and drive what you have for now. Why bother with converting to another motor knowing the one you have in the car is the one your going to use ?

that 69 coupe has a good motor. Buy it, stroke it to a 408, drive the piss out of it.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
If you put anything but another 6 in there you will need to change to 5 lug suspension, brakes, rearend, new wheels, etc. By the time you get all that done you could have had your 6-banger all back together and in the car. I would look for someone who did the 6 to V8 swap and take that old 6 off their hands - I think you could find one for a good price that way.

BTW, I did exactly this years ago with my fastback. Took out the original motor for full teardown, mods, etc., and I picked up a 302 core from an engine seller for $155 bucks. It had a broken lifter, which I replaced with one out of my old 289, and I ran it like that for 2 years. It took me that long to save up enough $$ to do what I wanted with my original motor.

Good luck,
MrFreeze

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree, why not keep running your existing motor, and find a good rebuildable I6 to build the way you want and do the swap once your done?

If you existing I6 is having issues a new timing chain will probably give it some new life. Timing chain stretch and eventually valves are usually the only issues the I6's get.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Also, going form a 6 to an 8, then back to a 6 seems like a step backwards.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LoL, I know, I know; it all seems strange. But the fact of the matter is, the car's just a project that's never gonna end. I'm already converting to 5-Lug, brake conversions front and back, upgrading the suspension. It's gonna basically be a V8 when finished. But the swap is to get it driving while I work on the I6(s), work the suspension, break-in and so on. Hit cruise-nights. I've got a car for driving about and errands; this one's for fun. And like Mr. Freeze has pointed out, it might very-well take years to do what I've in mind. Would you tarp a car for two (or more) years?

Also, Musty, what the heck did you do to that export-brace in your tag? Thing's friggin' huge! Beautiful, but huge!

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you want something to just power it around put a 2.3 non turbo out of a 80's or 90's mustang in it. It will get over 20+ mpg and your car is lighter then the car it comes out of. Or get gutsy and put a 2.3 turbo in it. That is what I did to a 66 Mustang I built for my daughter. It has 300+ rwhp and gets around 30 mpg. Plus your engine compartment is wider then hers and it will fit with out a problem. There has been a few people that have done it to 67-8 mustangs already.

·
Registered
307 Posts
LoL, I know, I know; it all seems strange. But the fact of the matter is, the car's just a project that's never gonna end. quote]

Hmm, yet you're doing all this so you can supposedly drive it all the while? That itself makes it more of a project. Project Perpetualization, lol

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,662 Posts
Well OK then, probably then a 5.0 engine. I built a 5.0...because I had the parts in my way. Got sick of looking at the six in my Mustang (project status) and pulled it out. So an engine on the stand in my way and an empty engine bay equaled 5.0 in the car. For six months. Never started it. Never actually intended for a 5.0 to be in there. Ran across an F150 cheap with a ruined 5.0 engine. Yanked the engine from the Mustang, re-retrofitted it back to EFI, and put it into the truck. Decided I liked the new truck enough to give up on my old neverending project truck that I never drove anyway. Sold that truck but kept the 351W I built for it which has like 25 total miles on it. So...engine on the floor and the Mustang's engine bay empty again. I could stand that for about three days and put the 351W in the Mustang. Not startable as yet but neither is it permanent. But it allows me to make stuff fit that I couldn't with the temporary 5.0. Final engine is likely the roller 5.8 I have lurking that has not been built yet.
The "new" truck is running great and I am currently changing from stock manifolds to shorty headers. (Because I want to) But I miss the torque of the old truck's 351W. I've discovered that I can swap out the 5.0 for a 5.8 with a little trouble and using the EFI 5.8 intakes I already have laying around. Still thinking on it. The truck's barely broken in 5.0 sure would be nice to freshen up SWMBO's Fox body whose 5.0 is definitely showing signs of age.
It's like a freaking engine-swapping chinese fire drill around my garage and probably isn't over yet. But I tend to assume most folks wouldn't find that sort of thing as entertaining as I do. Also I tend to collect parts until I can't move unless I assemble some into something. So I don't have to hunt down most stuff I need in the middle of a swap. The reason I didn't put the shorty headers on the truck when I put the 5.0 in is that I completely forgot they were hanging on the garage wall. (For about the last six years.) I have a pair of long tubes I would prefer but don't quite feel up to the exhaust revisions needed to fit them right now. Especially after working 70 hours this week. The shorties are pretty much bolt-ons. But I do have a pair of Flowmasters laying around. And I do like dual exhaust. It never ends...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It never ends...
Truer words have never been spoken. But, it you got the lift and stands, I've never seen the problem in swapping motors around. This is our hobby, afterall; if it ever ended, you know we'd just find something else to break 'fix' on the car.

Also, that 2.3 conversion sounds like it may be a winner, Gasser! The non-turbo, anyway. No way am I going to dial-in a turbo for a 2.3, then switch to an I6 turbo and dial it in again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Let me tell you, if you put a 2.3 turbo in it, you will never put a I6 or even a V8 in it. You can not believe the eye's on people when you are driving it around and line up against a V8 mustang of any year and when you get to the next stop light and you are there before they are and you tell them that your car only has a 4 cylinder in it. When you open the hood to prove it to them, they just stand there and shake their heads saying there is no way that just happened. Oh ya, by the way, that is with my 18 year old daughter driving it!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Gasser, I saw your daughters car at the Bellevue show last year. It is amazing, but the hood was a little too low to get a good look at the engine bay. I would be doing a 2.3 instead of a 5.0 also, but it looks like you have to lose the shock towers to make it fit. Otherwise, awesome swap. :pirate:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts