Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm 16 and I liked camaros alot.. but when I saw the stang I had to have it. I am only familiar with GM engines.. do they even make a Ford engine around a Chevy 350 and what are the prices on new ones? Also I was wondering what the deal is with auto and manual cars, do the 1/4 times change alot or is a stick just more fun to drive, thanks.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Ill assume youre not just here to start stuff......

Yes Ford makes two 351s......one of them is called a Cleveland, the other a windsor.

The Cleveland is frequently found in 71-73 mustangs. It was designed with nascar dominance in mind and thus it has some of the best heads ever offered from the factory in mass production.

The windsor has come into its own with the widespread acceptance of the 5.0 (which is also a windsor).....tons of performance parts, including good and inexpensive aluminum heads exist today because of the 5.0 rage.

·
Registered
427 Posts
You’re looking for either a 351 Windsor or 351 Cleveland. They are two different ford engines with the same displacement. That’s about all they share. 351c (Cleveland) is more or less a NASCAR engine form made from 70-74. The Windsor is really a family of engines, 289-302-351, that can interchange a lot of parts. It is cheaper to go the Windsor rout, but you can make a lot of power with a few mods on a Cleveland. Replacement parts are readily available for both engines. If you’re a Chebby guy, the W will be more what you are used to.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Actually, there are 3 diferent 351's made by Ford (4 if you count the Boss 351). The other 351 is the 351M, although this engine is basically a de-stroked 400 used in a lot of the Ford trucks. The 351M is a great truck engine, but a bad performance engine.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Regarding small block V8 pushrod engines, Ford sells new 302's and 351w's at Motorsport parts counters (at some Ford dealerships, mailorder, and speed shops). These are in the $3000 and $5000 price range respectively for long block engines. There are also aftermarket suppliers of variants of these engines, example Roush 347 (stroked 302). Of the Motorsport 302's there are a 225, 320 and 345hp. Of the Motorsport 351's there are (can't remember...get a Ford Racing catalog).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts