Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you actually use your mustangs as daily drivers. Mine is my first and currently only car. In fact I havn't even gotten my drivers lisensce yet so I've been learning in my mustang with my mom sitting next to me. Now as much as I love my mom, the car isn't as effectivly a chick magnet with her sitting next to me. But I'm just curious how many of you use your cars or are they just a REALLY expensive hobby (which is still cool).

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
My '67 coupe was my daily driver thru high school and college, so about ten years. I've been recently been driving her daily for about six months.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mine is a DD. People always telling me that they
had one like it in there younger days. People are
also aking if it's for sale.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Mine is a DD. It is my first car that I have ever purchased, and it has been a work in progress ever since. I bought it a few years ago, and it is still kicking. I have put a little over 20,000 miles on it since I have had it, ok, maybe closer to 30,000, but still.

I have only had to have it towed home twice. The first time was when my T5 siezed. The second time was when my other T5 blew to pieces. Other than those two incedents, I have always been able to drive her home.

I drive it more now than I ever have. I put over 140 miles on it every weekend going to see my GF. And I take it on trips as much as I can, like Tahoe, for example, this weekend.

If your plan from the start is to build it so you can drive it and it will be reliable, you will be happy driving it everyday. I don't know what kind of mustang you purchased, but either way, watch your speed. I speak from experience of getting a ticket atleast once a year (this is changing though now, I can't afford it anymore /forums/images/icons/smile.gif). It isn't cheap breaking the speed limit. I have contributed too much to the highway patrol and local PD. Have fun, but be careful too.

·
Administrator
13,030 Posts
Almost every day I drive mine. It makes doing some things hard but I enjoy driving it so much!
Stan

G

·
Used two early mustangs, 66 and 67, for DD from 1966 until 1992. Cheap to keep and easy to fix. Still use my 68 coupe for my fun time around town and my 68 fstbk for cruise time.

G

·
Been driving my 68 nearly everyday for five years and i've never had to tow it home. I drive her all over So-Cal, no problems. If you plan I driving it daily I strongly suggest putting disc brakes in front if it doesnt already have them. That is one of the best things you can do for a DD.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I am 16, just got my licence, and you get many more looks with out mom in the car! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif And yes it is my daily driver.

·
Administrator
19,544 Posts
My 1968 coupe was my daily driver from 1974 through 1985. It was an occasional driver prior to that time because it was at home and I was at school where I didn't need a car. I had it on the weekends and vacations, however. In 1985, it went back to an occasional driver status and now it's a really occasional driver. That status will change in a couple of years when I've met a show goal that keeps me from driving it much right now.

And then there's Trouble.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

http://www.tucsonpony.com

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The '66 in my sig pic is my daily driver, every day, rain or shine. My 18 year old daughter has a '69 coupe that is her daily driver and my 17 year old son has a '65 coupe that is his daily driver. My '69 sportsroof is just an expensive hobby for now *LOL* (still in the restoration stage).

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Classic mustangs are fine daily drivers. Need more maintenance than newer cars, but hey, I need more maintenance than I did in 1968. You're lucky to be in the south. I wouldn't want to expose my car to the ice and road salt we get in the winter.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Mine was a daily driver until I painted it a few years ago.
I'm much happier keeping the car clean and only driven when desired.
Not to mention having AC in my daily driver IS a nice feature /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Woosiecoupe was a DD, until I tired of trying to chase mechanical problems in the most expensive way possible: letting someone else fix it at their shop. I mean, $500 for a broken cam repair - highway robbery.

Now I've a Honda Civic to commute and the Mustang sits on jackstands, waiting for paint prep.

G

·
In the last 18 years I have owned two Daily Driver vintage Mustangs. First 9 years was a 65 coupe, then I found my 67. I sold the 65 and have driving the 67 ever since. the only days I choose not to drive the 67 is when there is more than a few inches of snow (rarely happens here in Oregon) or when it is 90* plus (I prefer the Windstars AC for then).

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
just a hobby for me..I use them only when the weather is nice, my Mach was my daily driver from '72 to '86..now it leads a very pampered life..*LOL*

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Me use me car as daily driver. Me drive the poop out fo the car. Me like it. Me do all repairs meself. Me have much fun working on my car, like this time/forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

Seriously, I've been driving my vehicle since 1982 as my primary driver. It is currently on jackstands (see link above). Due to be back on the road this weekend...

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
One of mine is a DD. It is as relyable as any other car I have driven.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts