Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so around here it seems nobody likes to hook up the lights on their trailers. lawn trailers, enclosed, etc, do they not realize people can't see the brake lights on the tow vehicle when the trailer is blocking it? i'm sure they do but don't care. got stuck behind another one this afternoon. end of rant, told you it was little :)

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I always connect mine. In SC, trailers only have to be plated and insured if used for commercial/business use (so that means nobody does it) so there's some pretty crappy trailers out there.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Yep gotta have lights on the trailers. After getting the idea from a post I seen circulating on FB, I think I am going to weld a 18" pipe wrench to the very back of my open car trailer. Supposed to be a deterrent for tailgaters... :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
19,773 Posts
Hey, I HAVE one of those crappy South Carolina trailers. Got it in trade to use for carrying ATV's and dirt bikes. But upon bringing it home the FIRST thing I did was rewire and replace the taillights. Afterwards I decided I didn't like that well enough and added some amber sidemarker lights too. After some bare necessity type repairs I left it alone. So it's still a crappy (and ugly) trailer but at night people behind me can bigod SEE it.

I ran up behind a trailer at night and almost nailed it. Big and ugly with tall sideboards of plywood or something and everything painted black. The only way I realized there was a vehicle in front of me in time was that his safety chains were too long so they were dragging and would spark a bit on the road. I swore to never be that guy.

But then there was the time this guy sold me this tow-behind camper where the taillight wiring was all bolluxed up but I drove it home anyway. Not that anyone here, in this thread, did that. :)

Turned out there are three acceptable wiring patterns for seven wire trailer plugs. All slightly different and apparently only the vaguest rules of thumb of which to use where.

·
Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
Yep gotta have lights on the trailers. After getting the idea from a post I seen circulating on FB, I think I am going to weld a 18" pipe wrench to the very back of my open car trailer. Supposed to be a deterrent for tailgaters... :ROFLMAO:
I sawthat,.....lol!

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Weld it to the trailer deck with about half of it over the edge

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
OK....I don't get it.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
On the other side, I can't tell you how many times I put new lights on boat trailers and find out they aren't working. They go out so often I don't even hook 'em up any more. I have a 2 mile run to the lake in the spring and a 2 mile run home in the fall. Don't bother with lights or legality. I do however have someone follow me to keep cops off my tail.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Ya'll ain't seen nothin! My trailers all have lights and reflectors.... but my Amish neighbors? They refuse to even use the mandated orange triangles on the back. Talks about puckering you up, driving down a narrow country road and suddenly there's a black, barely visible buggy in front of you.
After several very bad collisions some of them have started using reflective grey tape on the buggies. One has his pretty well outlined in it, even the tongue, following a collision which put his wife and daughter in the hospital for a month and killed his horse. Most have started using candle lit lanterns on the sides that make them show up from about 40 feet away. They still don't put anything on their trailers but I spotted one the other evening with a little Amish boy about 5 years old, standing on the back waving a flashlight.
The worst times are early morning or early evening when headlights don't quite light up the reflective tape, they just suddenly seem to appear out of the dimness in front of you.
There is another group of them about 40 miles away that has gotten with the program. Most of them are using some super bright red LEDs on the back with batteries or bicycle wheel generators to light them up. A few of the younger ones are probably raising eyebrows of the elders cause they have regular light shows on their buggies.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I have an open deck, 20' enclosed car trailers, utility, and kayak trailers ALL lights work, most LED's, even reflective stickers. Hooked up every time I use, I do a walk around to check. My cargo to valuable to risk getting hit.
Here in NH most people connect trailer lights.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Trailer lights are a constant battle. I just wish the mfrs would give a little more thought as to running the leads so a twig or popsicle stick wouldn't rip the wires off the frame.

·
Registered
20,323 Posts
I always connect mine. In SC, trailers only have to be plated and insured if used for commercial/business use (so that means nobody does it) so there's some pretty crappy trailers out there.
My friend lives in Pawleys Island. He told me the same

1 - 20 of 26 Posts