Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I saw a black trailer parked out on the side of a four lane industrial road not too far from where I live. Road was very wide but I thought whoever parked it must be an ******* or idiot and they should put out a reflective cone. The stupidity of it made me a little mad. A few days later I read that someone crashed into a trailer on that road and died.
This thread has raised the priority of headlight upgrades from P4 to P2.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
A trailer is something you buy, it sits when you don't use it, comes back in shambles if you let someone borrow it, and for whatever reason lights, bearings and tires degrade at some incredibly exponentially higher rate than everything else in the universe. I put all new submersible LEDs on my stuff with the wires run inside the channel so it can't be snatched or torn up by a blowout, and generally have a metal box or pipe welded around the tail lights so even if I back into something it doesn't tear em up.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Ya'll ain't seen nothin! My trailers all have lights and reflectors.... but my Amish neighbors? They refuse to even use the mandated orange triangles on the back. Talks about puckering you up, driving down a narrow country road and suddenly there's a black, barely visible buggy in front of you.
After several very bad collisions some of them have started using reflective grey tape on the buggies. One has his pretty well outlined in it, even the tongue, following a collision which put his wife and daughter in the hospital for a month and killed his horse. Most have started using candle lit lanterns on the sides that make them show up from about 40 feet away. They still don't put anything on their trailers but I spotted one the other evening with a little Amish boy about 5 years old, standing on the back waving a flashlight.
The worst times are early morning or early evening when headlights don't quite light up the reflective tape, they just suddenly seem to appear out of the dimness in front of you.
There is another group of them about 40 miles away that has gotten with the program. Most of them are using some super bright red LEDs on the back with batteries or bicycle wheel generators to light them up. A few of the younger ones are probably raising eyebrows of the elders cause they have regular light shows on their buggies.
Drove over to get some eggs from neighbors....buggy was busted up bad. Oldest son was coming down the road at dusk and woman didn't see it in time and hit the back of it, throwing the boy driving out into the road. The horse panicked and took off down middle of road dragging wreck behind him and got hit by a car coming the other direction. Not totally dark and her auto headlights probably hadn't come on yet and didn't light up the grey tape.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
666 Posts
Im pretty religious about trailer lights. My Toy Hauler, flat bed and motorcycle trailer have all been rewired by me using all soldered connections with properly restrained wired and weatherproofing.

What drives me nuts is the tarnish and corrosion in the 7 pin plugs.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I bought my trailer new in 2015 and bought the 'premium' version of it which had all the wiring encased in conduit, radial tires, and sealed, recessed lights. The trailer has reflective tape all the way around it, which is nice in case your lights do go out; it's better than driving completely in the dark. If you don't have reflective hazard tape on your trailer, might be a good idea to get some on there.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts