Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daily commute time is 1.5-2hrs roundtrip on only 52 miles from home to work and back. I tried the commuting thing and prefer my independence. That and their cars are stinky dirt buckets....

So I decided I need to get into the commuter lane. Legally.

What I did was I bought a used 2000 compressed natural gas Crown Victoria from EV Rentals. CNG qualifies to access the commuter lane because it is SULEV and ILEV compliant. Many vehicles are SULEV, but to be ILEV compliant the vehicle must run dedicated on electricity, CNG, or propane. There are quite a few propane powered vehicles, but they need to be certified to both requirements, which there are not many. And fewer available used. I don't believe electric vehicle technology is there yet at a price the consumer can afford.

I took posession of the CV Tuedsay and drove it for the first time today. It was GREAT cruising in the commuter lane past all that Bay Area traffic. And traffic isn't bad nowadays, that everyone's laid off... As soon as the economy comes back traffic will be worse than ever!! Many people had to relocate just outside the Bay Area to survive, and may choose to commute in rather than relocate again.

She runs just like any other gasoline car. They say the CNG 4.6L only puts out 175hp compared to 200hp for the gas counterpart, but I can make up the difference... Also puts out 75% less pollutants. And because the oil will not be contaminated the engine will last much longer.

The EV Rental alternative to the CV is a Civic GX. But I'm tired of folding myself up to fit into Japanese econoboxes.

So, we'll see how things go. There are 4 public CNG refueling stations between home and work, and many many in CA. Refueling is not a problem like the gasoline producers claim!!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
CNG is also 130 octane. If an engine were built to take advantage of that it could have twice the horsepower of a gasoline engine and still run twice as clean.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts