Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight, i know i've posted on this before but...My distributor is stuck like nobody's business. I tried putting some PB blaster on it, let it soak. No luck, I've got the block on the stand and i can the see the gear on the bottom rotating freely. Im afraid to get too rough with it, any suggestions? Also, should the cam slide right out once you have the cover/chain/lifters removed? The crank doesnt have to come out for the cam to come out does it? Thanks guys
-Ryan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does the distributor turn in the block or is it completely stuck?

Yes the cam should come out freely w/o removing the crank, once you get the distributor out that is.
Jason

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can think of only one or two things that might get it loose. You might ruin the distributor in the process however. A pipe or a strap wrench of some sort might do the trick. If it's as bad as it sounds, the pipe wrench may be your only option. The strap wrench idea came from an ad on TV from Sears, they have this new "do-it-all" strap wrench tool.
jason

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
The housing is what's stuck. What I do is clean the area around where the dist goes. Then soak it with a penetrant. I've used a pipe wrench and it works great as long as the finish isn't a issue. I agree with the strap wrench or a piece of rubber around the dizzy and a pipe wrench. Remember clean the area good before soaking it makes a world of diference. I'd use a turning motion to get it out.

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you have the pan off, can't you tap it out from the bottom. Remove the oil pump, and the pump drive rod. Put a long punch, or screwdriver in the jole for the oil pump drive rod in the dist. and tap it lightly...If this doesn't work....GET A BIGGER HAMMER!!!

·
Premium Member
19,215 Posts
Usually, there's a nice flange at the base of the dizzy. I've used an open wrench, and then gently tapped on the wrench body to help move the dizzy around.

What you need is some leverage to induce torque on the dizzy body. The wrench strap will work as well, but everyone has a open end wrench lying around!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
When I took my 351w apart to start on the new 393 stroker, I had the same problem with the dist. I soaked it with wd40 for a couple of days, when I was able to turn it I kept moving it back and forth. Finally I use a hammer and block of wood and hit it in an upward motion until it broke loose. I don't plan on using the stock dist. in my rebuild so I wasn't too worried about it. However it did come out without any damage to it. If yours is that stuck, I wouldn't worry about it as stock type distributors are fairly cheap as a rebuilt part. Also in regards to the cam, I assume you removed the fuel pump eccentric, and timing gear so that you could remove the cam retainer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts