Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup. Here are few points:

- The autocross procedures changed a lot this year. Apparently, it worked well. After years of each participants getting three runs each, the organizers promised FOUR runs each next year. Just a heads-up in case you want to sign up in January. (Be aware it typically fills up two hours after registration starts. If you volunteer to be on the autocross staff, you're guaranteed a spot.)

- My buddy, whom I rode up with, got a fourth place in his class in the autocross and a trophy for his class in the Show and Shine.

- On the day of the Show and Shine, I was looking at some cars when I heard loud, "THUNK!". I turned around and a 2002 convertible was rolling toward me. I stepped aside, but it soon stopped. There was a very confused woman in a pickup truck stopped behind the convertible. Some guy kept yelling, "Get her keys! Get her F-ing keys!". I walked over to the truck to see if anyone was hurt. There was an older guy who had been standing very near the convertible. Poor guy was shaking badly. Another guy politely asked the woman in the pickup to turn off her engine, but she didn't seem to understand what he was asking. She said, "I'm sorry" a few times. Again, she seemed really confused, but she didn't seem drunk. The guy reached into the truck, turned off the ignition and removed the keys. This was probably a good idea.

When the police showed up, they were talking to the woman's family. From what I gathered, she had a serious medication problem and had hit a pedestrian earlier (don't know the status of that) and the police had been looking for her. Anyway, it was a real bummer, but thankfully, nobody was hurt. The convertible suffered a dented in rear bumper at one corner. The owner was obviously upset, but appeared to be taking it in stride.

- Another buddy of mine brought his 1970 Boss 429 to the show. He got a trophy for his class. He was the only Boss Mustang at the show, and therefore the only one in his class, but believe when I say his car is very nice. He got another trophy for "Crowd Favorite" and a sponsor trophy for "Best Engine Swap". Apparently, the sponsor considered a Boss 429 to be an engine swap car. I suppose the engine was swapped out at Kar Kraft.

- There were three, maybe four, 1969 Shelby cars. I found this interesting since none of the Roundups I attended previously had any 1969/1970 Shelby cars.

- This year the cars weren't arranged by year and category as they had been previously. I thought this was kind of a bummer, but I can't fault the organizers. Those people work their tails off and put on an amazing event.

I hope to attend next year with my car and I hope to see you there! Steamboat Springs is a great town and the Roundup is a great event. I'll try to post some pictures soon.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
A Boss 9 is an engine swap car? Whoda thunk it. Glad nobody got hurt. Maybe next year I will bring my 67 GT500 clone. Do they look down on the clones at the round up?

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A Boss 9 is an engine swap car? Whoda thunk it. Glad nobody got hurt. Maybe next year I will bring my 67 GT500 clone. Do they look down on the clones at the round up?
I'm sure a lot of people would like to see your GT500 clone. I know I would. It's a very laid back show. The judges are people from the local community who may or may not know anything about cars. It's all for fun.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Hardtop
1,712 Posts
I've never seen Magnum 500s like the ones on that orange '69/'70 Shelby. I'm really digging it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Nice show, nicer cars, and probably a heck of lot cooler than Phoenix. LOL

·
VMF Ambassador
6,578 Posts
Huh, aren't there usually quite a few Boss's at the show? I thought I remembered seeing three Boss 302s all lined up last year.

Bummer that they didn't organize the cars this time around! Was it because the show was bigger this year? Or did they just decide to cut the effort for that particular endeavor? It was definitely a pretty big chore last year when I was there with Jane, but it was still really cool to see the Mustangs all lined up by year and package type.

Anyways, glad that it was a good show! I'd like to get back up there sometime but next year I will likely be in Modesto for the American Graffiti Festival at the time... hmmm.

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure what was going in, but there was some chaos in the parking situation. I got the impression some people just didn't know what they were doing and torpedoed whatever plan was in place for organizing the cars.

By the way, did I tell I recently found a "Calamity Jane" street right by my house? If I had known about it sooner, we could have driven there and got a cool picture of Jane under that street sign!

Always nice to hear from you, Kelly. Hope you are well!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'm sure a lot of people would like to see your GT500 clone. I know I would. It's a very laid back show. The judges are people from the local community who may or may not know anything about cars. It's all for fun.
Since we are in the same town you can come see it any time you like. I'm still in the "sorting" stage, as the Brits would say. I was going to try to make the First and Main show on the 2nd of July but I still have some sorting to do. Only have about 20 miles on it to this point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts