Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was on vacation in Southern California and ran across a 73 Mach 1 for sale (wasn't looking for another car). After searching in, out, and under I could not find rust of any kind on this car. It has they original paint on the body and was just to clean not to buy. The interior is original and in unbelievable condition once I cleaned all of the crud out.

My questions are did it come stock with a black frt bumper (yellow body) and black outside mirrors?

Who is a good source for parts? I normally go to NPD for my 67 but browsing through their catalog it didn't seem that they carried all that much stuff for a 73. Thanks for any reply.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
as far as i know all 73s front bumber covers and mirrors was painted same as the body color... as for parts 71-73s are the hardest to find parts for but there seems to be a little more each year... it's really a shame there isn't more respect given to the 71-73s they are really nice looking cars.....they took alot of cues from the 69 shelby when they made the 71-73s and stock for stock have the best ride of any vintage stang...... good luck......

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Welcome to the world of the 71 -73. You will have to do some searching around to find parts. There are more and more each year but they have a long way to go.
The bumper and mirror should be the same color as the car. They could have been repainted.
Is it a 351 car, Ramair???

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I have never had any trouble getting parts for my '72 Mach..just use all the usual catalog houses and you will be fine..as a matter of fact..I had more trouble finding parts for my '70 Vert

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car is a Mach 1 w/351C, pwr st/brks, FMX auto trans, AC, AM/FM, fold down rear seat, and rear spoiler. Fortunately it doesn't need much except for ext. paint, carpet and a dash. The rest I can fix/clean/repaint, it will give me somthing to do when I am done with the engine and eng. compartment on my 67. I had a 72 Mach 1 back in 1977 until someone stole it, this should be fun.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Well congratulations! Welcome to the (not real) world of the Dinosaur Mustangs /forums/images/icons/smile.gif They look huge, they weigh a lot but they ride great, they have real safety features and room for big engines, big tires and big butts are the norm!
The front bumper and fenders are unique to 73's. Also, if you get involved with underdash wiring there's a big connector change for the steering column pigtail to the main harness. Other than those they're pretty much identical to the 71-72's.
Factory paint schemes would have the bumper and mirrors color matched to the body. There was a black out option for the bottom body line (lowest curve) and the valances (front and rear) which made those areas black.
Sounds like a great find! Be sure to crawl underneath and look up at the upper rear shock mounts to make sure they haven't seen the abuse of air shocks :O)
If you need a dash pad, I can HIGHLY recommend the repro (I got mine from CJ's Pony Parts but they're all from the same place) it fit excellent and looks great.
The major part vendors carry pretty much the same line of things (Paddock, NPD, CJ's) so anything else will come from the net or salvage yards.
Good luck!
D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts