Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is one hell of a little car... The clutch is a liiiiiittle on the "all or nothing" side but boy when you don't stall it, it really gets up and moves.. It's nothing like the old Bugs! 2nd and 3rd gear both pull VERY well, 4th gear does alright, and 5th gear was good all the way to 120 MPH and I didn't want to go any faster than that on I-5, lol.

Weirdest thing was the lack of an overdrive transmission. Does anyone know why VW opted out of making 5th gear an OD ratio? We were revving at like 3,100 RPM just doing 75, almost as bad as my Mustang!

Talk about torquesteer. I hate front wheel drive cars! A hard shift into 2nd practically throws the car into the bushes... I hate it.

Anyone who has driven a new Beetle knows how difficult it is to get into reverse! I spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get the damn thing into reverse. Who knew you had to ACTUALLY PUSH DOWN on the shift knob to get into reverse. Idiot proof definitely but STILL! How frustrating was that.

Overall, the car felt every bit as fast as my dad's 390 Mustang. Of course, it didn't have the notorious V8 growl behind it, which makes the speed seem to be the least important thing. But the subtle whine of the intercooler sucking in breath after breath really made me feel good. With in-dash CD, leather seats, power everything, sunroof, etc etc, I felt like I was in a darn Mercedes - Only smaller. The dash is hard to get used to... I felt like I was driving in a spaceship. And it accelerated like one, too... Wow.

Those Germans know how to make a car...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Guess you never drove some of my "old" beetles. I used to get to blow Mustangs away off the line and down the block. Chevys were a favorite to beat.

All original VW's had reverse gear set like you stated. My Baja Bug turned 5000rpm at 70mph using bus gear reduction (gears at the brake area). Rear end ratio was 5.something. Stock late bugs had 4.125 ring and pinion and earlier ones were 4.375. I could have had an 5.86 rear! My fourth gear was .89 IIRC. This was with 32in tall tires and still doing burnouts and I could pick up the front of my car by myself.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, his Beetle smoked the tires all through 1st, some of 2nd, and barked in 3th AND 4th. I couldn't grab 5th, although Mark (the owner) says it can be done with the right touch.

I have driven a couple of early model bugs (mostly mid-late 60s) and they were all real dogs... Not really even in bad shape either... They just didn't feel like they had much in between shifts.

·
Registered
391 Posts
"Anyone who has driven a new Beetle knows how difficult it is to get into reverse! I spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get the damn thing into reverse. Who knew you had to ACTUALLY PUSH DOWN on the shift knob to get into reverse. Idiot proof definitely but STILL! How frustrating was that."

I had a 1961 VW (in 1963) with cloth sunroof; had to push down on the shift lever to go into reverse. Must have been the same all these years!?

"Weirdest thing was the lack of an overdrive transmission. Does anyone know why VW opted out of making 5th gear an OD ratio? We were revving at like 3,100 RPM just doing 75, almost as bad as my Mustang!"

That was likely overdrive with a numerically high diff. My 300ZX does about seventy at 3,000 RPM; it isn't noticible. The shift into 5th at full song is at just over 120 MPH. The VW's RPM seem pretty in sinc with other high performance small engines.

"I felt like I was driving in a spaceship."

One of the things I remember vividly with my 1961 (in 1963) is driving the car made me feel like I was also in a space capsule, in fact a Mercury capsule. Broke a brake line; that made it feel like an out of control re-entry.

One of my girlfriends wants a VW Turbo convertible. Seems reasonable to me; I wonder when VW will have a convertible again.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I drove my friends moms beetle one day. I hated it, period. It is your basic blue beetle with an AT. It was very uncomfortable for me, the seats were too firm for my liking. The dash layout was awkward at first, but I kinda got used to it. I noticed too, that it turned a lot of rpm's for the 70mph I was doing, I thought that was odd.

When I was driving it back to my friends house, a car is slowly passing me on the 101 fwy. I look over and a passenger, remember I am in a blue beetle with flowers in the vase and a liscence plate that says "bluebry", was holding up a sign that read "SMALL PENIS". I started laughing as did the person holding up the sign. Why, I don't know, but it was funny for both of us.

Now you know why I don't like beetles, it makes my penis look smaller.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Aaaahhh! Confidence my friend. Those unsecure fellows are more apt to drive Jag XKE's or long nose Corvettes. Don't you worry about them.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The difference between the AT and the stick is like... I dunno, something really big!

Maybe the turbo made a big difference too. I didn't hardly wind the engine out and I got up to 115 in pretty quick haste. I wound 1st and 2nd all the way out and then shifted through 3rd and 4th and then to 5th right around 110... It was deceptive speed for sure. Not like my Mustang... When I start approaching triple digits, the whole thing feels like it's falling apart! Gotta love 35 yearold metal hulks. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,654 Posts
My neice has a new Beetle turbo (bright orange!!!) and it's a hoot to drive once you get over the color. My lady friend just got a new Passat with the turbo and it has 20 more horsepower (170) than the Beetle (150). The salesman said in a conspiratorial tone that it really has 180 hp, just like the Audi A4 but for marketing purposes the premium line car gets the premium horsepower rating. Great car.

G

·
I had a 1969 Fiat 850 Spyder that had that push down trick to get it reverse. Kind of neat once you know about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts