Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Photos later this weekend.

I just installed Andover 3-point seat belts in my '66 Coupe.

I used the roof rail mount technique and it turned out well. It really wasn't that hard, but you do need access to a welder.

The upper mount follows the technque posted here: http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/strip/1121/seatbelt.html but I changed the lower mount from what has been traditionally done. You can fish the backing plate up from the rear. Its a bit tedious, but it works. I welded the washer to a piece of coat hanger wire and then pushed it up inside the roof rail. I then used a couple of small dental tools to line up the washer with the hole and welded the washer in place with a couple of plug welds.

Instead of using the Andover supplied "L" brackets, I created a mounting place for the reel similar to the factory mount in the lower frame rail. I cut a hole in the frame rail where the wire chase is and fished in another nut plate and welded that in as well.

I'm on my way to Walmart to get my pictures developed. I'll post some when I get them back. There's no interior in the car yet, but you'll get the idea.

I'm thrilled to have this done.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Looking forward to the pics. Your install, Henry's and mine are all variations on the same theme, with some inidividuality. Fine with me, as long as the welds hold for that singular hard impact!

Mike McKelvey

·
Registered
861 Posts
I also want to see the photos, me car has a fully interior which is in good condition and not very old. I do not want to turn into a fireball.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, please do post the pics here or a web site we can check out. My Andover belts were ordered last week but aren't here yet. I will be intalling them in 67 convertible. Wish me luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts