Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car i was ranting about the other day has been mine my whole life...theres a lotta story behind why its in the condition it is now. Anyways, he's relented and is going to let me restore it. The problem being is that i don't have a garage, nor access to a place that has one. best i'm looking for is building something over the car for temporary. Its going to be even more difficult to restore it without some kind of shelter over it and considering our neighbors don't think to highly of a dissasembled car in the yard they'll more than likely get Big Brother into it (local planning commission) I've got all the little pieces that went on the car, but i'm going to have to do alot of body work. Anyone with an idea on how to go about restoring this thing? and keeping Big Brother off my back till its done?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Not really sure about how you may want to go as far as restore, but what about the possibility of renting a storage area. I am not sure about you, but here in my home town, I have the same problem and storage areas are all over, I have thought many times about renting one and keeping all my parts, including my car inside one of these while I work on it, its a possibility. Hope this helps. Kalin

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking more along the lines of restomod. most of the repair work i can do without an enclosed space. i'd just like to have one to store the car in bad weather and the like. There are storage areas here, but none that could house a car. mostly just for household items and the like.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I understand, I am working on a 67 coupe, I am not knowledgeable enough to do all the work myself. I have some guys I know doing most of the hard work, I do what I can, but I watch and learn so that maybe my next car I can do more myself. The storage units we have are just big enough to store the car in, which keeps it out of nosey neighbor view. I just bring it out to work on it. Maybe you could just keep the car covered until your working on it and keep all the parts either in the car or a storage unit? I am doing a restomod myself, the car will be done on the outside here in about a month, I can't wait I am itching to drive it really bad. Anyway take care, and good luck. kalin

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to my dad, it wouldn't work anyway if i covered the car with a car cover or tarp if you wish, they'd still complain. My only option is to build some rudamentry shelter over the car. won't take long. and it will be behind privacy fence. I'm not so good at body work, but i am very mechanically inclined. I'm glad i'm sharing the experience with someone on a similar level. i can't wait to drive it either!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Wouldn't the "planning commision" take issue with a new structure that didn't have the proper building permits?

You might be better off fencing off part of the yard with a wood fence/Gate and erecting one of those Party tents to keep the weather off of the car. Should run about $500 bucks total.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea you are correct, thats why i'm going to pull it out, tuck some new wheels under it...and roll it back behind the fence, and put something over it there. Thanks for the input ya'll..keep it comin!

G

·
0 Posts
Where in Mississippi are you? How much room do you have yard wise? One of those metal carport
deals can be real handy for 800 bucks for a double, single is cheaper. I've even seen them fixed up
as a shop.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I"m down here by pascagoula. Little town called moss point. i've got enough room yard wise, but considering i'll be doing everything myself, putting togther a small shop isn't feasible right now.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts