Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the classic American car game. I picked up a 1966 hardtop Coupe that is very not original. The only reason I'm happy about that is that I don't have to worry about keeping it original. It's going to be something fun for me to learn about, and the best part for me, since I don't have a trailer, is that it runs and I was able to drive it home.

Anyways, I have a ton of questions and I will do my best to search first before posting, but you know how that goes sometimes. Really looking forward to digging in to it :)

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,516 Posts
alexc, welcome to VMF. Any pics of your 66 Coupe?.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For sure. I'll get some better ones outside. I've got some work to do under the hood to figure out what all is in it, but I at least got a bunch of the grime off the engine today. My list of todo's is growing steadily... It's a solid 20 ft paint job and looks ok if you don't get too close.

One thing holding me up a little is getting underneath it. I have a Quickjack Lift that works great for lifting by the pinch welds on my Subaru, but I don't know if I can do the same thing on the Mustang. I've only seen one video of a classic Mustang being lifted on a Quickjack...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,367 Posts
If you look at the pinch weld under the rockers you will notice a notch near the forward end and another notch near the aft end. Those were the jacking locations for the factory scissor jack.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Bad things happened to the pinch welds on my 67 when I used them as jacking points...these days I only use the torque boxes or subframe connectors(2 vintage mustangs later), but I couldn't even do that until I installed front torque boxes on the 66...of course since torque boxes were one of the first things I did it wasnt a big deal...if I had to jack up the front before adding them I would have used a plate spanning the frame rails and the pinch weld to spread the load better. As for the rear...you can use a quick jack under the rear differential just fine...and in front you can do the same thing with a jack under the engine crossmember presumably(though I have never actually done that myself). I am sure the factory jacking points will work fine if you use a factory scissor jack as well(I dont think I have ever actually had a mustang with the factory scissor jack though)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts