Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just got a 66 mustang coupe that was restored as a gt350 tribute. It has the 289 bored .30 over, a mild cam, dual exhaust, 5speed with hurst short shifter, brand new holly 4 barrel carb, no rust or even minor bubbling anywhere on paint and it shines nicely. I'm Not a big fan of the fiberglass hood. Engine does not smoke, leak, or burn any oil. Everything functions, emblems were replaced as well as trunk lock ( not shown in pics) The only issue with the whole car would be the drivers seat stitches are starting to come apart. I paid 8000 even for this. Do you think this was a good deal? Any ideas on what kind of horsepower I might be pushing given the mods I've mentioned? Thanks in advance guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
Welcome to the club! For $8k, I think you got a very nice car :)

No matter what I think though...the most important question is: what do you think? If you are happy with it, then it's a great deal.

BTW, I love the color too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I like it very much. Its an extremely fun car to drive, and it really does put you back into your seat when you get on it. It has a tendancy to get squirelly and peel out when I shift into 2nd. Im thinking maybe new tires will help with this.

·
Registered
669 Posts
There are two kinds of problems...the kind you want to have, and the kind you dont.

What you're describing is definately the better kind! New tires may help but not totally cure the problem; I suspect you're making a ton of torque with that motor.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Nice car, but I wouldn't call it a GT350 tribute, as the only parts that have something to do with a GT350 are the side scoops.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
That's right. The R (racing) versions had one like that, without the spoiler though.

Don't get me wrong, your car is nice and I wish you all the best with it.

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
Yeah, I can see your problem with the hood, that cowl thing is more a GM deal. Still, nice car for the money. No way to guess hp without knowing the cam specs. One man's "mild" cam is another's "3/4 race".

Oh, and this is a GT350 (well, GT350H). All H models had the stripes, while few GT350's did, originally.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow! Now that's a nice car! If you're happy with what you have and what you paid for it that's all that counts. I paid $500 bucks for my rustang and even though it'll need a lot of work I still love it. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm a wolf in sheeps clothing kind of guy. For what it's worth you could trim that Cow catcher portion off of the lower valence and have a period looking R model front valence. I helped a friend do it once,because it was at the bottom,you couldn't tell when I was done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you get this car from Performance Mustangs in Houston? I have seen one similar. very nice car btw!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
If nothing is hidden, you bought it well.

I think it would be better classified as a "custom" versus a tribute. It shares few elements of the GT350, which of course was a fastback; the side scoops of the 66 GT350 and the front valence (less lower scoop) of a 1965 GT350R.

I like the old school wheels and it really looks clean. Any plans with it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I got this car in kansas city, mo. The guy who restored it said he was restoring it with the gt350 as insperation, thus the gt350 "tribute". Tomorrow I am set to do the front disc conversion ( drums all around currently ) I am currently trying to find a gt350 hood, I don't like the cowl hood so much, just doesn't look like a classic ford. I would like to install power steering but am not completely sure what this entails. Any help or suggestions in this arena would be appriciated. I have no Idea what kind of transmission is on this thing as it is a 5 speed, so its obviously not original. Would like to install passenger side mirror and this is relatively cheap. I want to put some turnsignals in the front bumper, but need to know : Does this take the same hardware and lens as the stock 66 mustang bumper? Or does a bumper like this require a gt350 specific housing and lens? Also, what would be a good redline for this engine? I love this car!

·
Registered
560 Posts
seems awesome.
I am planning on eventually getting a cowl hood and front spoiler, like yours has now. Do you know if your cowl hood is 2 inch or 2.5?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts