Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 68 stang and I'm now rebuilding the motor. I don't want a race car, but I want to step the motor up a bit. I am already going to get a new 2 barrel carb, headers, exhuast, cam, roller rockers, ignition, that kind of stuff...I just need to know where to buy and the best stuff to buy, PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
122 Posts
congrats! you should get a 4 barrel carb. they have a lot of engine goodies in summit racings catalog. their web site is summitracing.com . they have always been good to me. i bought a set of nice nickel chrome headers from fordpowertrain.com

·
Registered
446 Posts
I buy my drivetrain parts from Summit. I would get a 4 barrel carb.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I just bought a 68 stang and I'm now rebuilding the motor. I don't want a race car, but I want to step the motor up a bit. I am already going to get a new 2 barrel carb, headers, exhuast, cam, roller rockers, ignition, that kind of stuff...I just need to know where to buy and the best stuff to buy, PLEASE HELP!
WTH? 2v carb with a new cam roller rockers etc? Not trying to be a hard ass here...but do you understand how a engine works? Think of it as an air pump. You increase the need for air inside the engine...yet you keep the same opening.
That thing is going to run like a three legged dog.
If you are concerned with gas mileage just rebuild it stock and improve the ignition system and exhaust. It will sound a little better and your gas mileage will improve.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
You really should get a 4 bbl, you can get an aluminum intake and paint it the engine color and will look stock, that is what I did. Plus the aluminum is much lighter. To put all those upgrades to the engine and not install a 4 bbl is really worthless because you will not gain anything.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Where to buy? Summit
But it seems like you need more help with WHAT to buy!!! I agree with the others that the mods you're talking about do not make sense. On a $/hp basis you are much better off with a 4V and aluminum intake than roller rockers. Mustang Monthly did a really great series of articles on building up a 289/302 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/26821/
The bottom line is that for performance the whole drivetrain should be treated as a system.
IMHO many newbies start at the wrong end of the car. Nothing will improve performance (acceleration) like a good set of rear gears.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Don't forget about tranny and rear end gearing for increased performance.
A wide ratio AOD (if you have an auto) and the right ring and pinion will make the most out of the engines power.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
It's possible to get halfway decent street performance with a big 2 barrel.....problem is, there are almost no good 2 barrel intakes.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Well I want to keep the stock manifold
First off welcome.....now to the post. Go ahead and keep the 2 barrel....on the shelf for the person that "may give a damn". I pulled my 2 barrel manifold / carb., and I'm getting better mileage AND alot better power. Win win if you plan to drive the car IMO.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If I don't get my brother this stang by this weekend, I will give you a manifold for the car. Its a stock manifold off of a 68 and its for a 4barrel. I will have to findout the cost to ship and in return you donate that amount to this web site. Send me an email Sunday night.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't know what could be so special about the stock 2 bbl intake manifold. You are pouring good money down the drain if you make all of the other upgrades and slap a 2bbl carb on top of the whole thing. I makes no sense. :: Go with the 4 bbl.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts