Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah i just got my 1966 Ford Mustang and wow.. it's Sweet. I got it off e-bay for about 3,125.00 and it look's awsome. It had a Vnynal top on it but the owner before me had taken it off so it has a little damage on the roof of the car. Also on the right front fender is has a recked area.. it's not too bad but i think it's going to have to be pulled to get that sucker out. HuMm.. but over all i think it's a great car and it's ready to be restored and come back to life! what do you guy's think? I personally love this car and year!

PureMuscule.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/images/smiles/ttiwwop.gif

hehe...my new favorite smilely..anyway welcome to the site...lets see some pics :)

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Congrats Marco! As any true Mustang enthusiast knows, 66 is by far the coolest year. We just don't like to flaunt that fact too much around here because it makes the owners of other years feel bad. ;)

If your 66 runs nice and your happy with it, $3125 sounds like a fine deal. I, too, think vinyl tops look great on these (see my sig pic). Gives it that "Gentleman's Hotrod" appeal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh Yeah forgot the pic's!.. sorry. uMm.. Here we go
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6236&item=2484056494&rd=1
There's the link to the Auction :: Just copy and paste the URL. So guy's tell me what you think.. Even though it had a vnynal top i want to go with a hard top, think i can do that? And i know you all can see that pretty bad little dent on the front coter pannel... Fixable? Yes .. Lot of work? Think i can do it?.. So tell me what you think .. please i need help.

PureMuscule.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Nice looking project ya got there Marco! That dent in the fender is minor. Rather than try to pull it out and fill/smooth etc., you'd probably be better off just buying a new repro fender. They're pretty cheap through any Mustang supply place, and not to tough to replace yourself. Going from vinyl to painted on the roof should be no big deal either, provided there's no rust damage (which is typical on many vinyl top cars). There will be some molding holes that will need to be welded and filled, but no big deal.

Is it a lot of work to restore something like this? Yup! Can you do it? Yup, but only if you have a very strong desire to do it yourself, willingness to learn new things and take help/advice from others wherever you can, and enough money to cover parts, mateials, and certain tools. This forum is an incredible resource for 1st time restorers, use it often!

Good luck, enjoy your Stang!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! Yeah I have alway's wanted a 1966 Ford Mustang Coup, and now that i finally got it i need to get on the ball and restore it. As you had said, i might be better off buying a new front fender for it, well how about the front bumper as well? By the look of it you think i would have to just go ahead and replace both? Just by hearing your response to my post, i already know that you have an eye for these Ponys. I thank you so much for your help and guidance. I can tell that you have put in your fair share of time with these stangs.. I was looking around at some 1966 Ford Mustang's and i found one on Google that i really liked. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.rodfathers.com/Marlon%2520Mitchells%2520Mustang.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.rodfathers.com/MARLONMITCHELLS66MUSTANG.html&h=699&w=1225&sz=79&tbnid=kKvRKXJgRz4J:&tbnh=85&tbnw=148&start=213&prev=/images%3Fq%3D1966%2BFord%2BMustang%26start%3D200%26svnum%3D100%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN

By this picture you think that i can build mine to look the same as it? I mean body wise more importantly.. I really love the color of it. Raven black.. oh wow. :D This is like my idle car right there. For the Interior i was thinking about going black outside trim with white inside. I think that would just look hot!

Back to the part's, you had said that i would better be off buying a new front fender.. well whats the chepest place you know where i can get then? I live in California so maybe some place close to my location, Im not really too good on funds right now so the cheper the better, I just got it for my birthday and i think my perants paid enough already for me to start asking for parts for it so soon. But if i was just asking for an estimate what do you think front fender and bumper would cost me? And at what site or Location? Thank you once again you are so kind and helpfull,

Marcos.

·
1,217 Posts
Marcos,

I think you did pretty well overall. It seems to be a very complete car and a good base for restoration. If you haven't already, start assessing any of the potential rust areas such as the cowl, floors, torque boxes, frame rails, trunk, etc.. Also start to evaluate the systems in the car...do the brakes need work, how's the engine run, do the lights work, things like that.

That will really give you an idea of the amount of work ahead of you. That said, the fact that all the pieces seem to be there is a huge plus!

Enjoy your new ride!

Also use the VMF! There is so much information on just about everything Mustang that you'll be surprised.

Finally, Fill out the rest of your Bio/profile with your info and maybe see if there is a Local VMF Forum for your area.

See ya.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Marco, National Parts Depot (NPD, 800-874-7595) is a pretty decent supplier of mustang Parts. They sell new front fenders for $160 and new front bumpers for $84. I doubt you could get your existing fender fixed or bumper rechromed for this cheap.

Something you'll really need to think about is the painty jod. You can spend as little as $500 for an Earl Scheib just-spray-the-cheap-stuff-over-the-old-paint job, or as much as $10,000 for a show quality job including stripping of old paint, perfect body prep, and high quality paint. I paid a bit over $4,000 for my paint job, and I'm real happy with it. Keep in mind that Raven Black will show any flaws or defects far more than lighter colors, so if this is your color choice you should probably invest in better body prep and paint.

You can do a full Interior restoration yourself with all new upholstry, carpet etc. for under $1000.

Aas a point of reference, my coupe was probably in very similar condition to yours when I bought it. The full restoration on it probably ran me around $8,000, and that was with me doing everything except body prep, paint, and vinyl top installation. I consider the car near show quality now. I got away cheap compared to many others here. You can certainly find ways to do it for cheaper, but chances are the corner-cutting will show.

At this point, don't get to hung up on how you're going to afford this. If the car runs nicely now, just do it one step at a time, what we call a "driving restoration". Maybe fix the fender and bumper for now, then later work on some of the mechanicals, then as time and money permit do some of the body prep for painting, then maybe do some interior refurb etc., all the while driving it and enjoying it as you go.

Welcome to the hobby. I can tell we've got another addict-in-training on our hands here!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Welcome! I wish my project started as complete as yours! Good buy! You will find a lot of information here and do a lot of searchs on the internet for supply companies. There are several. Do a search on them here for feedback on the quality, etc. A lot of great people in this VMF community, and always willing to help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts