Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how this happens I don't know. Could the fact that my car is an early 64.5 be the reason the mirror doesn't fit?

Take a look at the difference between the original and the repro. On top of everything else - the holes are INCHES off.

http://users.adelphia.net/~hoyter/Mustang8301.JPG

http://users.adelphia.net/~hoyter/Mustang8302.JPG

Then to top it off, the sun-visor / convertible top latch receiver doesn't fit AT ALL. It's so far off it's unusable...this picture give you an idea.

http://users.adelphia.net/~hoyter/Mustang8306.JPG

Should I be able to return these parts since they didn't fit? I'm assuming so, but have yet to call the seller.

Is there a certain place you need to go to get top quality - how can I keep this from happening again?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I know the early cars had some different parts, but that 'original' mirror doesn't look like anything I've seen before.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Your "original" mirror doesn't look original. Does it have a part number on it? Somebody here might be able to decode it for you. As for your visor/top latch, I got repros' for mine, although not quite the factory fit, they are OK. Yours look like they are for a different year. And yes you should be able to send them back!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well based on the responses I guess the original was originally not the right one - but I'm pretty sure it came like that (but I'll dig some old pics out to confirm).

The part number inside says 2532 followed by what looks like an upside down "T"

So now the question - since this was "orginal" to THIS car (meaning this exact one) should I get it rechromed and keep it or should I drill new holes and mount the "right" one?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have seen a few pics of very early mustangs using mirrors like that, i think they were the ones off the falcons. I know i've seen pics somewhere, i'll look around to see if i can find them... get it rechromed if you want to keep it original, because I'm SURE i've seen pics of a mustang with an odd looking mirror that was like that one, leaning the wrong way and stuff...but that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
I believe your "original" mirror to the car
is a aftermarket part, not a Ford item.
When my Dad bought his 65 Fastback new it didn't
come with a mirror so he went to the local store
bought one and put it on. Maybe this is the same
situation.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Your repo mirror looks exactly like my "Rotunda" mirror which was on my November '64 built '65 I6 Coupe. Rotunda was a Ford brand name (like Autolite and Motorcraft).

Remember, The '65s ('64.5s) didn't come with exterior rear view mirrors as standard equipment -that was a '66 thang.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Right! Remember at the 35th in Charlotte, a guy had a super low mileage 64.5 cv that had a mirror something like that way out toward the front, on the fender. It looked dumb but that was where the dealer, maybe at new owner's request, had it installed. That mirror does look familiar and quite possibly is an early Falcon piece. Don't think they were standard, then.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
The early mustangs had mirrors like that attached to the fenders....I might be wrong but I believe that most of those were the back east models, though I have seen a couple on the west coast

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Don't know if it helps or not but my very very early built '64.5 has a Falcon style mirror. HERE is a pic. The mounting holes are different than the 'Rotunda' repo mirror that you bought. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forgot to mention the visor bracket. Can't tell from pic. Could you post a different view, like looking straight down at it. Does the chrome cover that goes the width of the car, over the w/shield, cover it up?
The picture I took looking straight down at it didn't turn out at all - far too dark. I've already taken the piece off. The best way I can describe it is if you look at it from the top down, the visor piece doesn't fit flush with the windshield. Instead, there is a massive gap (almost a quarter of an inch) toward the side that's closest to the rear-view mirror. This was a passenger side piece - and picture the very end off the visor bracket pointing toward the middle of the drivers side door. In other words - very crooked.

Since the originals fit perfectly I'm going to try to get the rechromed and see what happens.

On a separate note - it's amazing the difference in quality between the door handles that had been on the car and the repros. The original push-button still slides in and out PERFECTLY. The repro - brand new - gets caught and doesn't slide nicely at all. You almost need to tweak it w/ your thumb a little bit to get it to push in (not every time - but sometimes.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts