Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 coupe that I use as a daily driver. I'm interested in fixing it up but not sure in what order. I know that disc brakes are first on the list but after that I'm not sure. I'm thinking about new paint cause the old paint is coming apart, but from there I'm lost. Any suggestions? I'm just here to learn.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I would go after the suspension next. There is nothing like a smooth ride.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Just my opinion but disc brakes aren't always the first thing. The suspension such as spring perches,upper and lower control arms, strut rod bushing and a good brake job with hoses and wheel cylinders would be Money well spent for a daily driver. You can probably do all this for what a disc conversion would cost. Manual disc brakes on a 65-66 were nothing to write home about. Thats why they switched to power only disc brakes on the 67 and up. Gary

·
6,855 Posts
OK Johnny,

Well you've asked a great question. I think you'll find a lot of us, over the years, have gotten it in our heart that we wanted to do a certain thing with our cars, rather than paying attention to our heads and doing what actually makes sense.

We can make some suggestions, but without seeing your car, I have no idea what you should do first. But here's a list of things you might consider:

1. Take it to your schools autoshop teacher or mechanic friend. Have them look it over and make recommendations.
2. Contact your local mustang club. Attend a meeting. Make some friends. Ask them to look over your car and help you decide.
3. Seatbelts?
4. Don't make upgrades until everything you've got works and is in good shape. For the price of a disk brake upgrade you could repair many things on your car. Drums aren't the best...but they'll do for a limited budget car.
5. Along those lines...how's your gas tank?
6. How about those rubber hoses at each drum brake?
7. Is it burning oil, blowing smoke, making funny noises, wanting to overheat in traffic?
8. How about the electrical system? Does the horn work? Do all the lights work? Halogen headlights are cheap. Some of us have just plugged them into the old sockets with no problems.
9. How about the tires? Plenty of tread?
10. Windshield wipers working? Blades OK? The BRAKES ARE WORKING FINE RIGHT????

Or...just bag all that and go spend your money on some boom boom woofers for the trunk. At least you'll sound cool when your dead on the side of the road. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Good Good Luck to you!

Phil

·
Administrator
19,320 Posts
The sensible way to work is to see to the parts of your car that make it safe and roadworthy. This is the "dirty stuff". Parts that no one ever sees, but which need to be in good shape anyway. Some people find it difficult to drive a scabby looking car, because they're spending all their money and time on the running gear. This is second nature to me, everything I own is at least a little ugly. But they all go wherever I want, anytime I want.
Pretty comes second after function. Many VMFer's can attest that there are many rolling horrors out there that are paint jobs and little else. Avoid building one of these, please!
Yes, we all know you can't resist some stuff; seats, chrome and what not. Just keep priorities generally straight.
If your car is basically structurally solid, brakes and then suspension are the best places to start. If you drive it regularly, it's other needs will likely make themselves known.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If you want to pull it drive it up to where i work i can give it a once over. I'll send you a private message so you can call me if you want. I'm down in alpharetta right off 400. Its real hard to guess what your working with to know what you should get.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Planning is challenging but you'll become frustrated, or broke w/ only a parts car otherwise. Search VMF, sift through the opinions/options. Ask lots of questions. Make lists with cost (add 50% to estimates), time (double your estimates), create alternatives. The car is 35 years old. Safety is #1 and helps reliability. #1 IMO is integrity of the front suspension and brakes - get a dual master cylinder. Front disks help the horrible stopping distances and fade in early Mustangs. A trunk/cabin fuel safety barriers is cheap insurance if you get rear-ended. After awhile when it starts to shape up, you can trust it and enjoy it, and plan a whole bunch of new mods!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts