Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on a new oil pan yesterday, so obviously I changed the oil. Today I went to start the car and the car started making a squirting type noise. I immediately shut it down. Underneath was a big puddle of oil and it was coming from the oil filter and the rubber seal was protruding.

If my diagnosis is correct, the oil seal from the old filter was still on the car when I installed the new filter (two came off with the new filter). As a result, the oil filter didn't seal properly and now I need to buy more oil and a new filter.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Fun stuff......at least you can't blame any of the quicky lube places and the only damage is a nasty spot on the garage floor to deal with. Good job in catching it so quickly.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Happened to me once back in the day. Once is all it takes. Now I always double check that gasket it off...

I managed to back it down the driveway leaving a nice trail in my wake...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Yep, you only make that mistake once after cleaning up all that oil.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yep, you only make that mistake once after cleaning up all that oil.
Ditto on that. Now it's an ingrained habit to check for old seals stuck to the mating surface and to start the engine and look underneath when changing filter and oil.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice to know I'm not the only one who has done this. The worst part is that it was brand new Royal Purple oil, so the mistake was extra costly.

But, everything is back together and running smoothly. No leaks so far from the new oil pan or transmission pan (now with felpro gaskets). The last leak to fix is the p/s pump and a new gasket at the t-stat. New exhaust goes on Tuesday then she'll be ready for the road!!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I always reach up and wipe off the area when the oil stops dripping so I know I have a clean mating area for the new filter. And wipe a thin film of oil on the new filter gasket.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I gotta hand it to you guys. You're an honest bunch. When I do stupid stuff I tend to keep my mouth shut or lie about it!! :p

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
One of the first things I taught all my kids. Started all of them with oil changes.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
It a mistake with a long list of names on it..mine included! It's also not limited to DIY'ers, but professionals as well. I did it once.......ONCE!

Just like others have stated, I learned my lesson. What was more embarrassing for me was I was a young apprentice mechanic at one of the local Ford dealerships! It's been close to 30 years now and have never made that boo boo again! Thanks goodness for me it was a standard practice for us to start the engine while the car was still on the lift, raise it back up and check everything for leaks. As soon as I lifted the car you could see oil pouring out. The old mechanic I was working with knew immediately what had happened. I then had to go back to parts, request more oil and suffer the jokes!!!:eek:

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
I put a goog bit of oil on the seal on filter on my darily driver before screwing it on. However, it sticks every time I remove the filter. I have to pull if off everytime.
No need to ask me how I learned this lesson.
Dave

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Been there, done that too. You're in good company! :)

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Once in the late 1980's I changed the oil on the Stang - then started it up and immediately saw a pool of oil pouring under the car. Immediately shut it down, and looked under the hood -- I'd forgotten to install the new oil filter. The oil pump discharged directly onto the ground.
Ahhhhh the stupidity, in glorious full bloom.... and I called myself a mechanic???
Maybe I should've taken up knitting instead.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Did that on a rental Bobcat skid steer once. I had just put a hole through the filter with a piece of rebar from the concrete we were demoing; 9 quarts of oil on the ground. Put the new filter on and filled the pan up with 9 quarts of oil. Started her back up and after about 30 seconds the low oil light came on again. Another 9 quarts of oil on the ground. The old gasket was still stuck to the block. Needless to say I was not a happy camper.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'v never YET, left the old gasket stuck to the motor, BUT i have forgotten to put the drain plug back in and the new oil ran right through to the drain pan with the old oil. No mess or didn't start the motor. Just had to explain why i needed more oil.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
1 of each, for my brother and me!

69 Firebird I had in the 80's....same as you guys, two gaskets, trail of oil just up the street and back.

My brother, like SlingSling, forgot the to put the drain plug in, (and he had already removed the drain pan); new oil onto the driveway! DOH!

I think the EPA will be contacting all of us!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Did that on a rental Bobcat skid steer once. I had just put a hole through the filter with a piece of rebar from the concrete we were demoing; 9 quarts of oil on the ground. Put the new filter on and filled the pan up with 9 quarts of oil. Started her back up and after about 30 seconds the low oil light came on again. Another 9 quarts of oil on the ground. The old gasket was still stuck to the block. Needless to say I was not a happy camper.
why were you having to change oil in a rental skid loader? I think I'd avoid rental places that didn't service their equipment.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
why were you having to change oil in a rental skid loader? I think I'd avoid rental places that didn't service their equipment.

No, I wasn't having to change the oil. I was doing concrete demo with a front ram jackhammer and a piece of rebar got under the back engine cover and poked a hole in the oil filter and all the oil ran out. Took the filter with the hole in it off. New filter and oil. Old gasket still stuck to block. New oil all shot out. Removed old gasket and reinstalled filter. 9 more quarts of oil. All was right with the world...except the 18 quarts of oil on the ground lol! :crybaby:

·
Registered
669 Posts
now I certainly feel better about making this mistake! I had the old seal on my 96 GT and ended up dumping it all over the garage floor. I think it's still slippery from that event, almost 3 years later. Doh.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts