Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was over at the local specialty car merchant yesterday and they had this Black Jade 69 M code Mach 1 with a white interior. The car had Centerline wheels on it but was otherwise pretty stock. The satin black on the hood was clearly repaired with a rattle can and there was no chrome trim on the leading edge of the hood. The engine compartment was nice but not outstanding. The car was a factory air car. The guy said "That one's sold" as I was looking it over. I asked "How much?" and he said "We were asking thirty but I think it went for twenty seven." I started to chuckle and he asked why. I told him this was probably a solid number three car and even a number 2 car isn't worth $27K unless it's a CJ. I guess a car is worth what someone will pay for it but, why are there so many uninformed idiots out there with their wallets open?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I think you answered your own question! Or, maybe the guy wasn't being completely honest in his statement... car salesmen are notorious for telling "fish stories."

·
Registered
630 Posts
Thats quite high... but not as high as the eleanor bidding at 100,000 bucks on ebay :p

·
Registered
846 Posts
Well.....I don't have the web site but it's a NADA site for collector cars, and using my car as a reference, a 69 Mach 1 428CJ goes for $16,000 as a low in poor condition, an average is $30,000, and a high totally restored is $55,000. I'm not sure what condition you would consider his but $27,000 might be high, but not unheard of. I'd say for an M code it's probably around $5000 too much for his car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mach 1 prices are starting to go in that direction, the good cars seem to bring up prices on the less than great cars. Also a lot of people don't do enough research on a car like that.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
A buyer sent me pictures (wanted an opinion) of a 69 CJ Mach for $46K last week.

No smog, wrong dist, and pleantly of details. Only got a picture of the eng compartment

1 - 7 of 7 Posts