Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they were doing an HEI distributor build up for a camaro. and he adjusted the amount vacuum advance by sticking an allan key into the canister. can i do that on my vacuum advances???

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
You can do that on just about ANY vacuum advance. Just try a few different hey keys until you find the one that fits.

Now...what I want to know is: What's the best way to measure when you've got enough vacuum advance coming in. I'm not talking about the standard timing check. I'm talking about making sure you've got this vacuum advance setting properly adjusted.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well thats cool, but does anyone know what their doing with it? id assume turning in clockwise would increase the amount of advance???? but like SacBill said how do you know where to set it?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Some '65s aren't adjusted using an allen wrench but with shims with holes in them (fancy washers). These vacuum advance diaphrams have a hex shaped housing with a fitting on it which can be removed so as to add or delete washers. I had to do this on the one I bought for the replacement single point distributor on my GT with a T. I guess an engine used to '60s premium gas doesn't like 87 octane unleaded!

Dean T

Reactions: victor

·
Registered
670 Posts
Set timing at correct idle no vacuum.Put hose or line on.All but 351-C OFF IDLE VACUUM ONLY!!!Full advance at 2800 to 3200 rpm.(basic stock or slight mod.)Lower on very high per.engines.Scott 936-756-2535

·
Registered
982 Posts
NAPA has adjustable units. Most don’t ask for them so you’ll need to. I picked one up for when I re-curved my SBF dizzy. As I recall it used a 1/8” Allen wrench

1 - 7 of 7 Posts