Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for my '67 fastback with stock suspension.

well, at least I think I scored... they have 3.5 backspacing... do you think I will have any fit issues? I got a sweet deal on them, cause they are undrilled, so if there are concerns I think I can part with them.

anyone know how to read the date code on Halibrands?

if there's interest, I'll post pics tomorrow

thanks

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Pics would be cool but I think you're going to be sticking out past the fender lip with 3.5bs. I installed 15X7 AR TT D's with 3.75" bs and scraped the bulge of the tire on the fender lip, had to roll the fenders to clear. I'd say you're going to have to roll your fenders as flat as you can to avoid contact since you'll be 1/4" closer to them than I was.
Jon

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I'm not sure on the backspacing. I have 15x7 Magnum 500 with 4.25 backspacing and they fit perfect. I think you might have fitment issues.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does anyone see any issues with machining the inside face of the wheel away to achieve the proper backspacing?

I checked the wheels last night, and there is plenty of meat on the bosses to get to 4.25" backspacing. You don't even get close to the inside of the spokes...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If those are real old school Halibrand's, I would leave them as is and sell them to someone who can use them or mod the rear end to make them work.

Those should be worth some $ if they are the real deal.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what? you don't want to cut up some Halibrands? where's your sense of adventure rarebreed? ;>)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on new 15x7 Halibrands

I have had the bolt pattern put into the wheels and the backspace milled down to 4.125.

I know it's not 4.25, but 4.25 would put the brake caliper just a little too close (within 1/8") to the spokes for my comfort.

need to drill valve stem holes (which I have asked about in the tire and wheel thread, hole size?)...

The center caps I want (low profile) are stupid pricey (almost $100 ea.) so I plan on machining some up.

getting there... your thoughts?

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts