Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a wonderful conversation with the widow of my original owner in Winston-Salem, NC. Knowing the nature of old ladies in the Carolinas, I probably should have never been nervous about contacting her. :)

It seems her husband had an auto sales career of his own. He had a used car dealership right up the road from the dealership where the car was purchased. He bought the car in December of '64 and returned it to the dealership the following April for one reason or another... she said they put it back on the showroom floor and sold it in short order (I guess to the people who have the second title that I found). She said he always regretted selling the car.

This past April, he went golfing, then came home and sat down for lunch and had a heart attack. On her birthday, no less. They were married for 56 years, and she said over 400 people came to his funeral.

She said her husband was one of those people who kept everything, so she is going to look through the house to see if there was anything related to the car. She also said she'd really like to see it, so I'm going to at least send some photos. We are going to be in her area in about three weeks for a vacation in the Asheville area, and I had already been contemplating towing the car down so I could drive it while we're down there because it's a gorgeous area. Of course, at the moment it isn't working. So maybe that's incentive for me to get it working. :)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
When mines finished I'd like to research the original owner, did you do it through the state DMV?
If you like going to NC here's a nice show that will happen Sept. 2010 in Asheville, we're planning on going.
http://brmcoa.org/brmcoa/Mustangs_At_The_Mansion.html
Jon

·
Registered
935 Posts
The original owner of my 68 coupe still lives in my town.She bought it new in 68 and drove it till 87 and traded it in and a young woman bought it and had it three months and traded it back in and the guy I bought it from had it ever since.mostly just sitting in a garage.He was going to fix it up but never did.I bought it from him.I have all original paper work.The woman that bought it new never got rid of anything.I even have receipts for exhaust work she kept.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JonK said:
When mines finished I'd like to research the original owner, did you do it through the state DMV?
If you like going to NC here's a nice show that will happen Sept. 2010 in Asheville, we're planning on going.
http://brmcoa.org/brmcoa/Mustangs_At_The_Mansion.html
Jon
Yes, NC DMV. Only $10 and they sent me every title they had on record for the VIN. It was a godsend.

I saw the info on that show... we're going to Ashville this year for a family vacation. We might have to come back for that.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
That's awesome! That is also how friendships are formed with what were once complete strangers! :thumbsup:

p.s. A personal story about making friends with complete strangers; when my brother and I were very young (I was 6!), we went on a family vacation to New York. While there, we went to Corning, NY and took the tour at the Corning plant. Outside in the parking lot of the plant and elderly couple accidentally backed their camper into our car. I remember that I was pretty ticked off and gave them a piece of my mind for hitting my parents car. They were very friendly and got a chuckle out of lil tiny terror me telling them off (my parents were highly embarrassed by it). They exchanged info due to the damage being very minor. It turned out they lived in SC too! They became friends with my parents and used to call on us and we'd exchange Christmas cards for years to come. I believe when it stopped it was due to them passing away. The car they hit? My parent's brand new lime gold '67 Mustang convertible!!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Milo Bloom said:
We are going to be in her area in about three weeks for a vacation in the Asheville area, and I had already been contemplating towing the car down so I could drive it while we're down there because it's a gorgeous area. Of course, at the moment it isn't working. So maybe that's incentive for me to get it working. :)
There are two Mustang shows in the Asheville area this fall, both w/e of Sept. 26; one in Asheville and one in Maggie Valley FYI.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Way to go!! Glad to hear it went well. You would have enjoyed talking to him as well. Have a good trip and visit!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
great story!!

i would love to have a talk with the previous owner of my car, and ask her why she managed to get a dent/scratch in every panel on the car...

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Great story! I hope it brought her a little happiness to talk about her husband.

I would love to ask my previous owner why they used a roofing shingle to help "seal" the tin snip cut hole for my Hurst.... :)

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
That's a neat story!

My parents bought a 65 fastback new, I went to the
dealership a few years ago and was able to talk to
the salesman that sold us the car, he gave me a book
of matches and a few other items with his name on them
from back in the day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts