Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just tuned her up ... new plugs, wires, cap, condensor, fuel filter, point, and pcv valve. any Ideas ... oh and what should the timing be set too ??

69 grande 289 auto 2 barrel

·
Registered
645 Posts
Timing is exactly what I was thinking, too. Isn't stock like 6* or something? I could be way off, but I think that's what it was for my original engine (70 302 2-v Auto).

·
Registered
455 Posts
I noticed that you said you changed spark plug wires also. Did you check to see if you may have crossed a couple of wires and changerd your firing order. This happened to a friend of mine. Had two wires crossed and it started fine, ran fairly well but ran hot.
jazzbo

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the firing order is good ... the timing was pretty far off though and it seems to be better. and yes 6 BTDC was the correct setting.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
If the timing were set too far advanced, and the car were running hot because of it, it would ping.

If the timing were set too far retarded, including possibly at the stock 6*, then you could ALSO be getting overheating problems. Remember too, just because the balancer is saying 6*, that doesn't mean it's really at 6*.

If you're not pinging, try advancing the timing and see how she runs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts