Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previously I asked about the emergency brake cable routing and it was pointed out that I didn't have the self adjuster installed. I bought 2 kits for the rear and also new springs and hardware. I have a couple of pictures and wonder where and how the spring attaches. It seems that the right hand side of the spring (passenger side) doesn't have to hold it in place. Suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I noticed that the spring in your illustration is quite husky compared with the one supplied in my kit. Would that make a difference?

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I'm not quite following what you mean by holding it in place? Also, it looks odd that your adjuster appears to be adjusted almost all the way out. Are your shoes paper thin, or? Are you able to install the drums with them like that? Makes me wonder if you got the correct kits?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drums and shoes have less than 250 miles on them. I adjusted it way out to get it together correctly. I will manually adjust to get the drums on IF all is installed correctly.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
it looks like it is from your pics, so I'll be curious if you need to back them down a bunch to get the drums on. Let's see what happens, right? lol

Reactions: arbys

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
looking at your pics again, it almost looks like the adjusting lever isn't fully seated in the brake shoe? It should be hooked in, and have pressure on the adjuster wheel from the spring. You should be able to rotate the adjuster wheel out easily, but have to release the lever pressure to adjust them back in if installed correctly. Make sense?

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Spring goes in the BIG hole, from the front, and the other end in the self-adjuster lever also hooks from the front.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Arrgh... I was focused so much on the lever that I didn't notice that....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts