Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me, or does it seem that K.A.R. Mustang is trying to take advantage of the average Mustang enthusiast by selling their cars or parts at 'through the roof' prices? I have seen their ads in Hemmings and have gotten a price list from them and think that maybe someone is trying to get rich off of us. Opinions?

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Their prices are a little high, but from my experience they only sell exceptional cars. You get what you pay for, and you can't expect a dealer to not make a profit.

Jim Vogel
Tallmadge, Ohio

http://beta.freepichosting.com/Sites/12217.jpg

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I've had some dealings with them. Nice people. Very quality-conscious and (as you've noted) not cheap. The market segment they've chosen to pursue has more money than time/mechanical ability. They typically want a top-drawer turnkey car. Not really the typical VMFer's demographic, but believe me, there are plenty of people out there who fit the profile.

A good company, run by good people, but not a bargain-hunter's type of shop.

Glenn Morgan: 66 GT V-Burgundy Fastback 351w+toploader+9 in. TracLoc. Started out as a rusted-out Chicago-area crusher. After sacrificing a solid 66 coupe for its sheetmetal sub-assemblies, I have one solid (and expensive) work in progress!

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
I stopped by there when I was working in Columbus last November. The cars in the showroom were very nice. Not just painted up to look good.

I was invited to wander around the shop where they had several cars in various states of restoration.

They are a class act!.

Gene J

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584519&a=12110688&p=43875040&Sequence=1&res=high.jpg
66 Coupe/66 Convert/84 GT Turbo/96 coupe

Gene's cars

·
Registered
900 Posts
I agree with what the others have said. I haven't done business with K.A.R. but I did check them out and the most common views I've heard is that they're a bit pricey but first-rate. I have no fault with a straight-up organization that does good work and tells you up-front what they think their cars/parts are worth. No one has to pay their price unless he chooses to. I won't because I enjoy doing as much of the work as I can, but some are quite willing to pay for a reputable company to do find a great car for them and do the work as well.

EdK (Ed Kennedy on old forum)
'66 Coupe, '94 GT Convertible, 2000 Explorer XLT

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Their website has some great step-by-step pictures of a restoration, and an engine bay detail. These are great at showing not only the work they do but seeing the pics can also help us VMF (half the fun is doing it myself) guys.

I think it's clear to everyone - they are expensive, but do a good job. And believe me, in the automotive industry, I think we've all met the guys are expensive but don't do a good job!

1966 GT Convertible (see it at:http://www.geocities.com/tbeamguard/66GT.html)
1969 Sportsroof (which is For Sale, by the way)

·
Registered
911 Posts
I bought a crate 289 from KAR and a few parts a couple years back and I was very satisfied. They provided me with all the telephone information I needed and were happy to answer my follow up questions. Frankly I think I would pay a little extra for a quality restoration if that was what I was looking for. Kory

Mustang Parts makes a great addiction.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i haven't dealt with them, but i'm sure they are well to do people, but i think their prices are extremely steep, but if you have money coming out of your ears then 795$ or $850 for a rallye pac is an OK deal

[email protected]
[color:green]www.ang67must.com</font color=green>

·
Registered
330 Posts
I do agree that they are usually 5-10% higher on their prices, however they are EXTREMELY knowledgeable and are true enthusiasts of the Mustang hobby.
Sometimes this is better than dealing with a person who only knows how to put a part # in the computer.
I live in Cincinnati and I love to drive the 100+ miles to visit George, Kevin and the rest of the crew at K.A.R.
I always buy some little something as well as look over the 'Stangs in the showroom..(slobber,drool..) as well as pick their brains about my latest project.
Of course SWMBO gets to spend the rest of the day shopping in Columbus. (a fair trade I guess)
All in all I am glad that they are in business and I believe they offer a great service to the Mustang enthusiast and they do have a LOT of overhead in keeping the store open. Just my .02

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right...Convertible!!! With flamethrowers!!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
K.A.R. is only 65 miles from me. I've been to their facility and I agree, they are expensive but they are also a class act. Their cars are exceptional and the people very nice. I drove a 66 emberglow ragtop while there once and they were very accomodating. Advised me not to be in a hurry to buy a Mustang, lest I not get what I really want.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Better to spend more at a high quality established shop like KAR than to get a "deal" ala Don Barry......
My experience with mustangs and my resto so far can be described as "pay me now, or pay me later" Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts