Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Unless the pic looks off it looks correct, it’s a tight fight. The last time mine were off and I changed those it took a ton of patience and I put WD 40 on them to help.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Lubricate the piston, bore, seals and boot liberally with brake fluid. Put the boot on the piston before you push the piston down.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, the problem is that the boots are so thick at the retainer they won't go into the space available as seen in the image. For the life of me I don't see how they would ever fit in there. If I turn them inside out the lip will go in, but this can't be right. To me it seems that the lip should be reversed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had this issue too with my KH dust boots on my 66. I ended up cutting the extra material off with an Xaxto knife. Now they look just like my original boots and tuck into the outside groove OK.

·
Registered
65 A Code Factory GT
6 Posts
Yeah, most of the replacement boots sold fit several models and are too thick to fit under the retainers. NPD has some that have the correct thickness, I ordered some of those when I discovered that issue, when I got ‘em they look suspiciously just like the others just with the thickness trimmed down :).

Some careful trimming should take care of it.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Do Not cut them. No way you should have to do that.
I think you have the wrong seals. When I rebuilt mine last year the first set the parts store gave me were incorrect(like yours).
They should look more like a tire shape.
I'll look for the part # on mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts