Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to put one of the modular carb'd engines in a first-second generation mustang? Id figured the 68 would be easier with the bigger engine bay?

Just tossing this out there-I know somebody has probably already done it. Just looking for more info! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The slightly wider engine bay of the 67-68 still won't buy enough space for the modular w/o essentially complete removal of the shock towers and the use of Heidts or Mustang II type front end. I think Year One had a 66 fastback that they put a carbed mod motor in to showcase their parts. It's probably in one of the Mustang mags a few years back and you can find it via google.
Daniel

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
It really only takes notching the shock towers, its not really as severe as people make it seem.

Yes, the larger engine bay makes it easier, because on the 65/6's you ahve to completely remove the towers.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The most complete site for the swap is the incomparable SN65 project. Here's an article about Year One's 66 with a mod motor from Popular Hotrodding (I had trouble loading that page) and Ford Muscle about a carbureted 65 from FRPP are two recent magazine articles about modulars in gen 1 cars. The Mustang Shop has a 66 fastback they did that's on their website
http://www.themustangshop.com/projects/66berman/engine/images_640/IMG_1602.JPG
and a 65 coupe as well. And our very own Dave Stribling (mustangsurfer) did an excellent 68 featured in Mustang and Fords in his DVS shop. I noticed his car is now for sale, so if you want a turnkey... He may be the best resource to PM about this swap, too. :)

Although the swap is exotic, why would you want to do so? When you are done, you have a cool car but you could have had similar power with a 351W based stroker EFI for much less headache. And it will handle better, too, all other things being equal. ;) The mod motor is huge and relatively heavy, even with an aluminum block and heads. But there is something awe-inspiring about the size and valve covers--it looks like a more modern interpretation of the Boss 429 and will make people stare... and drool. :)
Daniel

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Dave at DVS fit a SOHC motor in a 65FB with a stock front suspension and a Cobra IRS, I oogled it in person a few years ago in Columbus. It's a very tight fit in a 65-66 with notched towers, and IIRC he said a DOHC was impossible without removing the towers in a 65-66. I'd be interested to hear what it would take to fit a DOHC into a 67+.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
All I can ask is "why?"

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
But the only thing it gains you over a pushrod is less NVH and perhaps slightly better fuel economy. You add more weight, for an engine that can't put out as much power, and is freaking huge.

I mean, there are reasons to do things, like adding power, and there are dumb reasons to do things, like thinking that an engine is better when it really isn't.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A DOHC 4.6 apparently fits in a 67 - 70 with tower notching, by what's showing on Mr. Stribling's site:

http://www.dvsrestorations.com/motormounts.html

A 5.4 DOHC would be another story, just too darn wide I believe. I had one from a Navigator, measured across the valve covers, and it was about 2 inches wider than the distance between the shock towers on my 68 Cougar.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
BornInAFord said:
The most complete site for the swap is the incomparable SN65 project. Here's an article about Year One's 66 with a mod motor from Popular Hotrodding (I had trouble loading that page) and Ford Muscle about a carbureted 65 from FRPP are two recent magazine articles about modulars in gen 1 cars. The Mustang Shop has a 66 fastback they did that's on their website
http://www.themustangshop.com/projects/66berman/engine/images_640/IMG_1602.JPG
and a 65 coupe as well. And our very own Dave Stribling (mustangsurfer) did an excellent 68 featured in Mustang and Fords in his DVS shop. I noticed his car is now for sale, so if you want a turnkey... He may be the best resource to PM about this swap, too. :)

Although the swap is exotic, why would you want to do so? When you are done, you have a cool car but you could have had similar power with a 351W based stroker EFI for much less headache. And it will handle better, too, all other things being equal. ;) The mod motor is huge and relatively heavy, even with an aluminum block and heads. But there is something awe-inspiring about the size and valve covers--it looks like a more modern interpretation of the Boss 429 and will make people stare... and drool. :)
Daniel
Not that it matters much, but IIRC, the SN65 wasn't an engine swap at all, as it used the late model front structure.
I agree with Shagg here. I don't know why anyone would go through all the trouble to put a mod motor in a vintage stang, when there are much more affordable and straight forward options, unless it's just for the shock value.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
With the SN65 they didn't just use the front end, they basically cut the body off a 2003 Cobra and welded on a 65 Fastback body. There was more to it than that, but that's the overall idea of what they did.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
TheShagg said:
But the only thing it gains you over a pushrod is less NVH and perhaps slightly better fuel economy. You add more weight, for an engine that can't put out as much power, and is freaking huge.

I mean, there are reasons to do things, like adding power, and there are dumb reasons to do things, like thinking that an engine is better when it really isn't.
Strong words... tell me this: when was the last time that a stock 302 block withstood 1000 hp, unmodified? Every 4.6 block ever produced will do it. When was the last time there was a 6 bolt main 302 block? When was the last time that a set of stock 302 heads would flow +300 cfm?

Do mod motors make as much power n/a? Not usually. Are they more expensive? Yes. But put some boost on and they really shine. To suggest that the motor won't make more power is one thing: wrong. You just go about it differently (allthough there are guys making 400 rwhp with a 4.6, n/a, more with strokers and big bores)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
obsidianspider said:
With the SN65 they didn't just use the front end, they basically cut the body off a 2003 Cobra and welded on a 65 Fastback body. There was more to it than that, but that's the overall idea of what they did.
Yeah, that is the jist of what they did... easier said than done but that is the cliff notes version.

·
Registered
663 Posts
obsidianspider said:
If I'm not mistaken, they did a Mustang II coil over front suspension swap didn't they? That is nowhere near to what you said.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Deviousfred said:
obsidianspider said:
If I'm not mistaken, they did a Mustang II coil over front suspension swap didn't they? That is nowhere near to what you said.
BIG mistaken. :confused:

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
7ro1t13210 said:
Strong words... tell me this: when was the last time that a stock 302 block withstood 1000 hp, unmodified? Every 4.6 block ever produced will do it. When was the last time there was a 6 bolt main 302 block? When was the last time that a set of stock 302 heads would flow +300 cfm?

Do mod motors make as much power n/a? Not usually. Are they more expensive? Yes. But put some boost on and they really shine. To suggest that the motor won't make more power is one thing: wrong. You just go about it differently (allthough there are guys making 400 rwhp with a 4.6, n/a, more with strokers and big bores)
Forgive me, I shouldn't speak so generally about something when I mean something specific.

This man wants to put a CARBed modular in. Really seems like spending a lot of time and money for nothing, and hacking up another mustang.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And why is that any concern of yours? What happens to wanting something to be unique without getting criticized? Seems like "hacking up a mustang" is someones own decision just like that twin turbo setup. Did you have to "hack" anything for that?

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Actually I haven't had to hack it... It fits in the engine bay - without removing things that are structurally important to the car.

And why is any of this ANYONES's concern by your own? Why do you even ask us.

I just want to keep people from jumping on a bandwagon because they are misinformed and clouded by hype. Next thing they know they have something that isn't a mustang and they spent too much money on, with no resale value, thinking it's the latest greatest when it very well might not be.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts