Vintage Mustang Forums banner

KBL's 1970 Mustang Mach 1 Build

10447 Views 104 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  RIBS
I was on the fence about starting a build thread for the Mach 1 that I purchased in February, as there are so many available already, but after thinking about how helpful it would be for me to document what I did, and hopefully help others in the process, I decided to move forward with it. I am not planning on anything more than a weekend driver / boulevard cruiser, so most of what I am doing is close to stock, but upgrading when it seems smart.

I know some about cars, but probably a novice on almost all aspects. I spent a lot of time working on cars back in the 70’s (mainly helping my brother with his GTO), but far from knowledgeable on most aspects. I shared a Mustang II and a Fox Body Mustang with my siblings while in college in the late 70’s, and have always wanted a Mach 1 as a friend of mine had one and I loved the body style. But then life rolled on, and never had enough time or a place to work on a hobby like this until now.

Once I retired, I got the taste of this when I purchased a 66 Mustang C Code back in 2017, and did a mini-restoration of the interior, an air conditioning install, and numerous other small things, but the drivetrain was in good shape so I didn’t really dig too deep into the car.

When I finished it, I wanted to do more, and I saw a 1970 Mach 1 H Code for sale in the area. When I purchased it, the PO had already stripped and bead blasted, it, replaced the quarter panels, floorboard, cowl, shock towers, and the tail light panels. It was very close for the final body work prior to painting. The doors and fenders were original, and he had purchased a new shaker hood (which is in the box in the background in the photo below).

It also came with a 351C 4V engine and a Toploader 4 speed transmission (they were not originally in the car, or ever for that matter - just part of the sale), and of course, most of the parts were loose or in bins.

I will post more in the upcoming days that covers what I have been up to between now and when I purchased it in February.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
70 Mach 1 Drag Pack (W code)
106 Posts
What did you do with the old covers?
I'd be interested in the gray inserts

· Registered
106 Posts
Bummer.
The inserts on the repro covers aren't quite the same. One remedy is to have the originals swapped out and sewn into the new covers.
Norm

Reactions: kblagron

· Registered
106 Posts
Reactions: kblagron
1 - 3 of 3 Posts