Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! Just would like your thoughts.

I just picked up a new project - 1970 Mach 1. I also found a numbers matching 351 C with 4v heads all professionally rebuilt and ready for intake & carb.

After research a bit it seems that the main advantage to switching heads is weight, and yes I could go roller lifters. Having a complete ready to go as it is - is good too. I am thinking of just doing an air gap Edelbrock intake and the Holley Sniper. I would switch heads, but I think the main gain/loss will be weight of cast iron v. aluminum. Yes it will cool easier, but having majority matching will be nice as well.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

Love to have your input.
Thanks! B

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
if it already has 4v heads and its a pro quality build id leave it alone.
imo you dont want to go messing with the calculations the tech used to build the motor

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
Cleveland heads were the only small block Ford heads that breathed well; extremely well. As you mentioned, weight savings would be the primary benefit. My take is it would be a budget decision. If you want the weight savings and you have the money for aluminum heads, sure. If you would rather spend that money elsewhere, bolt on the 4V iron heads.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The 351C 4V heads are more than adequate for a street car, weight savings would be the only advantage as you and others have mentioned...

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
My dad had a new hemming's magazine where they made 520hp on stock iron 4v open chamber heads. 351C's are killer motors and in my opinion they're cooler when they have the vintage iron heads that are capable of such crazy levels of performance.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
I also found a numbers matching 351 C with 4v heads all professionally rebuilt and ready for intake & carb.
Depends on the year of the heads and how it was built. If he has the build sheet, post the info so we can pick it apart. ;) The beauty of a Cleveland is you don't need to buy aftermarket heads to make good numbers.

After research a bit it seems that the main advantage to switching heads is weight, and yes I could go roller lifters. Having a complete ready to go as it is - is good too. I am thinking of just doing an air gap Edelbrock intake and the Holley Sniper. I would switch heads, but I think the main gain/loss will be weight of cast iron v. aluminum. Yes it will cool easier, but having majority matching will be nice as well.
Personally, I wouldn't run a flat tappet cam these days even if it was free. The AirGap for the 351C has been out of stock for ages and it looks like the earliest delivery is June. Most aluminum 351C heads are out of stock, unless you want to roll the dice on Speedmaster.

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
If you have money burning in your wallet then certainly go with aluminum.

They may not outperform a good set of the heads you have but that i snot always the only consideration :)

I know I have spent money I didn't really need to on my cars over the years :(

·
Registered
753 Posts
I was in the same boat. Cost of rebuilding the 4V heads was high. I went Trick flow 190’s, makes good power below 3500 rpm then really comes on strong up to 6000. Full roller is the only way. Good luck on your project.

·
Registered
‘69 Cougar convertible resto mod
172 Posts
I was in the same boat. Cost of rebuilding the 4V heads was high. I went Trick flow 190’s, makes good power below 3500 rpm then really comes on strong up to 6000. Full roller is the only way. Good luck on your project.
Thanks for your response stroker393. I’m looking at AL heads for my Cleveland for a future build and most Cleveland builds I’ve been following use the Aussie AL heads. Is your 6000rpm note above a redline you use or a function of your cam choice?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thought I would throw this in there… love this video…definitely on the extreme side..

·
Registered
753 Posts
I use it as a red line but I could go to 6500. Motor is hydraulic roller and cam lift is 602/612. To be honest I rarely get that high unless manually shifting auto trans because the revs come up so fast I shift out to quickly. My msd box is set for 6800 for safety. Heads were bare from trick flow and assembled with motor at ford strokers , ford strokers added there spring pac and valves along with custom comp grind.

·
Registered
92 Posts
No wrong choice to be made, I will throw out a few things.

A) Scott Cook makes a "cheater" head that looks exactly like the stock 1970 Boss 302 heads -- with paint nobody will know they are not iron.

B) My personal opinion... As engines get more modern, It does not get cooler than old school solid flat tappet lifters. Either will be limited by the tires you can fit.

·
Registered
1966 C Code Coupe / 1970 Mach 1 351C
291 Posts
I just finished building a 351C with the stock 4V CC heads and stock intake. I was not looking for a street racer, so I kept everything pretty stock. Looking forward to seeing how it runs in the next 6 months or so, but waiting on the body shop right now.

·
Premium Member
11,857 Posts
I just finished building a 351C with the stock 4V CC heads and stock intake. I was not looking for a street racer, so I kept everything pretty stock. Looking forward to seeing how it runs in the next 6 months or so, but waiting on the body shop right now.
stone stock 73 351C 4v cj from a 73 torino cj. added hooker headers ,toploader , 2.80 rear. trans ams , co-ma-ros , dodges , shevells didnt know what left them behind especially with a combination geek/nerd/hard rock drummer behind the wheel. it dont take much to make a 4vc go fast.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
‘69 Cougar convertible resto mod
172 Posts
I’m looking forward to driving my car this year. Last time it was on the road it was a 3 speed manual with 2.79:1 open rear end. This year it has a TKO-600 with 3.70:1 Auburn rear end. Should wake the old Cougar up a bit!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
stone stock 73 351C 4v cj from a 73 torino cj. added hooker headers ,toploader , 2.80 rear. trans ams , co-ma-ros , dodges , shevells didnt know what left them behind especially with a combination geek/nerd/hard rock drummer behind the wheel. it dont take much to make a 4vc go fast.
Haha, a low compression 250hp engine with a 2.80 gear was not the pinnacle of performance even back then! My HS car was a 65 with a 289 cam intake and headers and a 2.80 and I thought it belonged in the NHRA, so I get it. In reality it was probably a high 14s car. Good times!

·
Premium Member
11,857 Posts
Haha, a low compression 250hp engine with a 2.80 gear was not the pinnacle of performance even back then! My HS car was a 65 with a 289 cam intake and headers and a 2.80 and I thought it belonged in the NHRA, so I get it. In reality it was probably a high 14s car. Good times!
that low compression c i had was very fast. i owned 3 c engines and drag raced a friends 73 mustang with a 4vc , trw brand mild cam, 780 holley , and headers with a 3.70 rear, m50-14 street tires and turned a 12.11 at the local 1/4 drag strip while smoking the right (peg leg diff) tire a long ways down the track. my other 2 4vc's were in a 69 mustang one of which was a 70 engine that the po put in and the other was a mild 71 that i put in. never under estimate the power of any compression 4vc. Even my dads 69 boss 302 with was very fast in stock form with a close ratio toploader((we had the trans out) and 3.50 rear. there were several round tracks at the time that would not allow any engine with 4vc heads to race. the small block chebby guys would refuse to come race if they were on the track.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts