Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the 8" 3.00:1 open carrier rearend out of the car to clean up the underside and paint, along with new rear drop leafs. I can't decide whether to keep the 8" and rebuld it with steeper gears or find a 9" that will work.

I plan on rebuilding the engine for the car at some point, but I doubt it will make over 400hp to the rear wheels. I have read that the 8" can handle that power, it that correct?

Are there parts available for the 8" like the 9"? I definitely would want to install a trac-loc and new gears.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I think you're 8" should be fine. I have a built up 289 in my car and just installed a posi pumpkin that is rated at 450hp. I doubt you would need a 9" its overkill in my opinion.

Check out ebay people sell rebuilt 8" pumpkins with a posi in it and you're choice of gears.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Your hp level is just part of the equation..How do you use the car?..If your running a manual trans and slicks at the track you could still break it..If its strictly a street car with street tires and an auto trans you should be fine with the 8 inch..

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Yes, anything you can get for the 9", you can get for the 8". In some cases, they are even the same parts.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I am in the same boat. I have been pondering a heidts with a 9" for sometime now, but I keep coming back to the 8". But, by the time you rebuild an 8" your still $800 into it, add in new leafs and some decent Koni's and you are over $1200 fast.

I just cant get past having a panhard bar, it moves the body left and right as it goes up n down.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found an article today that said you can use all the brake components from an 8" on a 9". If that is the case, than I can get a correct 9" housing on the web rather cheap and get new axles. Third members don't seem to hard to find. Are the shorter axles easily obtainable from one of the manufacturers that make 9" components? When I refer to shorter axles I mean for the 65/66 stang.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I decided to keep my 8", but I bought a junkyard center section with the improved case waffleing from a 70 something Ford truck as mine has the weaker case.

John

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I found an article today that said you can use all the brake components from an 8" on a 9". If that is the case, than I can get a correct 9" housing on the web rather cheap and get new axles. Third members don't seem to hard to find. Are the shorter axles easily obtainable from one of the manufacturers that make 9" components? When I refer to shorter axles I mean for the 65/66 stang.
If you get a 28 spline 9" 3rd member, you can use the 8" axles.

MrFreeze

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I found an article today that said you can use all the brake components from an 8" on a 9".
I am in the same spot...
I think that only applies to same bearing sizes. If you have a small bearing 9" you can use your 8" backing plates, but most 9" rear end housings are big bearing?

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I currently have the 8" 3.00:1 open carrier rearend out of the car to clean up the underside and paint, along with new rear drop leafs. I can't decide whether to keep the 8" and rebuld it with steeper gears or find a 9" that will work.

I plan on rebuilding the engine for the car at some point, but I doubt it will make over 400hp to the rear wheels. I have read that the 8" can handle that power, it that correct?

Are there parts available for the 8" like the 9"? I definitely would want to install a trac-loc and new gears.

Hey Bud,
It's not the HP that kills, it's the "RWTQ". Don't waste your money, like so many others, on 9" when it's just a "braggin" rights. It take's over 400 RWTQ with sticky tires to break an 8" with a nice locking gear-set. Put your dough somewhere else.
Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I am in the same spot...
I think that only applies to same bearing sizes. If you have a small bearing 9" you can use your 8" backing plates, but most 9" rear end housings are big bearing?
I had a '57 Ford rear end in my '66 fastback for years, and the stock brakes bolted right up. Not sure about "big bearing," but it did have much larger axle tubes that required bigger u-bolts and some new holes in the mounting plates. Maybe there are different sized end flanges on the various 9" rears?

MrFreeze

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Maybe there are different sized end flanges on the various 9" rears?

MrFreeze
Yes, I think there are. I am no expert but learned a bit about the flanges last week in another thread when I was considering a housing from an early bronco, it was a large bearing rear end with 31 splines etc.. I could have used my axles and found a 28 spline third member, but my 8" backing plate bolt pattern was different from what I read on-line. However I have not actually tried it in the real world, hopefully someone can elaborate more.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Use a small bearing 9 inch housing and the u bolts from a 67-70 mustang and shock plate. If you find a 67-70 housing you will need to have it narrowed to fit the 65-66. most shops do this for around $100.00.The factory 9 inch in the 65-66 k code mustangs have a necked down axle tube to use the stock size u bolts. Your factory backing plates and brakes will bolt up to the small bearing housing and you can use your stock 28 spline axles. There are some benefits to the 8 inch, It is lighter and uses less horsepower to turn and can handle 400 hp with no problems. I installed a currie 9 inch and 31 spline axles in mine was about $700.00 at the time.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
OK, but I have had no luck finding a necked down small bearing housing that fits under a 65/66 car. I think those are spendy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts