Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well so much for my last post about dyno results! :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:. I was driving my car the other day and heard noise that sounded like a rod bearing spun. Took the engine apart and thats exactly what happened.

Now I am going 408w and keeping my top end due to funds being tight (in process of home purchase). The only question is should I keep the cam or bump it up some? Maybe even change the torque converter?

Car
65 coupe with 4r70w trans (3000 stall) 8.8 rear end with 3.73 gears

Car usage:
Street car(light to light) with very minimal drag (1/8 only).

Current parts:
69 351w block getting machined and prepped for scat 408w
190cc edlebrock performer rpm
Dual plane rpm intake
Xe274h. 230/236 duration 110lsa 519/523 lift
3000 stall

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
I’d talk to a cam company and get a specific grind based on your driving, asking them for stall advice to match.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I have the Ford F302 hyd roller in my 408W . I have GT40 X aluminum heads and an air gap intake with 9.5 compression. The bigger engine WILL give more stall and the cam is PLENTY. Mine made 480HP on 87 octane regular gas. 8ohs at the local 1/8th mile in a 3800 lb 67 Ranchero on drag radials. I did use 1.7 rockers for a bit more lift. "I" wouldn't change your cam unless you went to track only.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
The decision you need to make is whether you want your car to be more tame with the 408, about the same or more of a handful.

If you want it to purr like a kitten use the cam you have. But maybe add 1.7 rockers for a little more oomph as GT350HR did.

If you want your engine to be about the same as it is now as far as street manners something like this would probably get the job done:

If you want something more rowdy then you're probably looking at around .600 lift with over 240 duration @050.

Not an easy choice. Good luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From post here and local shop recommendations its seems the cam i have will do just fine! Appreciate the input and hope to have the 408w in next week. Should be a fun upgrade

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
902 Posts
keep in mind by re-using the same cam while adding 50 cubic inches will tame the engine/ lower the power range quite a bit. Personally i would add much more cam ( as big as your springs will allow lol) , but that's just my preference. Also what j dub said 1.7 rockers would be a smart addition as well, cheaper too !

·
Registered
902 Posts
A quick story to think about. I seen similar situation with a LS deal, spun bearing, upgraded bottom end to a 402 stroker, kept small aftermarket intake and cam he had. It made a huge torque curve, but low on hp & rpm ( in his eyes). He didn't like loosing the usable rpm, when it was stock stroke it pulled to 6k, stroker engine fell on its face about 5500 rpm. Cam was bigger than yours too. was 240 deg /.600 lift range he still lost 500 usable rpm. There are other variables that play in the mix, just a little reference for ya !

*editing the post, i forgot a funny detail. the stroker only added torque, no horsepower. peak hp number 499 @ wheels was same stroker vs the stock bottom end, it only lowered the rpm peak power . engine was definitely lacking airflow. was in a corvette

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
499 to the wheels would be way more than I could ask for haha. I do want a strong 408 that I could sneak up on someone and they think its just another mustang with an exhaust and then be able to let it rip. I also have that 100 shot just for added fun

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got two highly recommended shops pretty twll me the complete opposite for torque convertor choice. One said keep the 3000 stall and the other said stock convertor or 1800 stall would be better. Any thoughts or input?

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Don't listen to "shops." Listen to the cam company or the converter company. When I had my converter built by PTC I called them and told them everything about my cam, engine and car and how I would be using it. The stall speed of an off the shelf converter is actually fairly irrelevant since vehicle weight and gearing will change the stall speed.

I'd consider just using what you have for now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the thing.. i got two completely different suggestion from two very well known shops and I meant convertor shops in my previous and current post

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Dark, if money is tight right now, build a 393 instead of a 408, it is MUCH less expensive ! LSG

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
408 is already paid for and happy with the cam choice after several talks but the stall was pretty much the last piece I needed. I dont want to post any shop names but thats the input I got. I will say the shops are not local tho and again very recommend from people here

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
I would write off any shop that told you a stock or 1800 stall would work. That’s a lot of crap and you’d hate it if the converter locked the engine down that early. You wouldn’t outrun mr frostys ice cream truck.

also, throw the advertised stall numbers of any off the shelf converter out the window. There are far too many factors for it to work that way.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
That's actually a pretty mild cam for a 408 but it'll run great. Off the shelf converter stall #'s dont mean diddly to me as there are too many other factors, but if i were going to sway one way or another based on an internet post Id guess the converter might be a little on the loose side, but that could be fun to drive too, maybe a bit of a fuel economy killer if that means anything at all to you.. I say run what you've got, worse case you'll need to pull the transmission for a different converter.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea! Ima run with what I got and have a shop swap the convertor if anything. Ill always have that extra 100 shot too incase the speed bug hits 😁😁🤣

1 - 18 of 18 Posts