Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I just purchased a 1966 k code from a fellow who owned the car 37 yrs. He had a copy of the original title from the original owner in 1965. Origin of title, I think it's called. Anyway, he signed his current VA title from 1974 over to me and now I need to register the car in MA. MA is asking for the VA title which is OK, but I would like to get the original VA title back. They said this was impossible. Any suggestions? MA does not require the car to be registered, but certainly insured.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
The same situtation exists in Ontario.

I tell people to photocopy their registrations before transfering the ownership.

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
maybe you could apply for a duplicate title or ask the po to get one and then you turn the duplicate title in.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Exactly

maybe you could apply for a duplicate title or ask the po to get one and then you turn the duplicate title in.
That is EXACTLY what I would do. YOU may have to pay for it and do all the footwork and mailing if the PO doesn't want to go to the trouble for you.
Get a duplicate title as it is in the PO's name and then just submit one of the two.

DO NOT let the opportunity pass by to do this. Once it's gone, it's gone forever.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are great! That's exactly what I'll do. I'm sure the PO what be more than willing to help. Thanks a million.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I took my K title to the DMV here in Oregon and they took it. It was also the original title from California. I was very upset. I did have them make a copy of it for me before they took it. Very sad day. I do have the original black plates from California:)

If I could do it again, I would get another title and claim I lost the title I had.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
speaking of that. How do vintage license plates work. If I were to purchase an original set of 1966 MA license plate off ebay, would the RMV expect them? I'm sure every state varies.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
A friend of mine had the original title for a Olds 442 he was restoring. We were talking one day about dealing with the DMV here in SC. He told me that they wanted his original title as well. He told me he wrote the state director for the DMV and explained what the document was and why he wanted to keep it. They simply canceled the original, issued him a new one and allowed him to still keep the original. The only alteration to it was the cancellation stamp so it couldn't be reused. It's just a thought that you may want to try with your state.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Not a bad idea but filing for a duplicate leaves the original intact and unblemished. Good ideas there.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Same comment as above regarding duplicate title. I have done both - color copied the original title & kept the original title. Prefer to keep the original title & fill out the request for duplicate title. On another note - it is b.s. for the states to keep the original title. All they are going to do is shred it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts